Graphics card fan speed goes to max using proprietary NVIDIA driver inside VM

EnigmaCurry

I setup a Linux VM passing through a NVIDIA Geforce 770.

With the open source nouveau driver, it works great. With the proprietary NVIDIA driver, the fan speed goes to max as soon as Xorg initializes. I've tried both Ubuntu and Arch linux with the same results. Windows 10 works fine though (although obviously that's a different driver.)

nvidia-settings  always reports that the fan RPM is 0. The same is true with lm_sensors. So, I think this might be the cause, the driver sees the fan speed is 0, so it ramps up the fan speed, but it still reads 0, so it ramps it up even further.

I'm forced to use the nouveau driver for now to save from going deaf in one ear, but it would be nice to use the nvidia driver for a few games.

I setup a Linux VM passing through a NVIDIA Geforce 770.

With the open source nouveau driver, it works great. With the proprietary NVIDIA driver, the fan speed goes to max as soon as Xorg initializes. I've tried both Ubuntu and Arch linux with the same results. Windows 10 works fine though (although obviously that's a different driver.)

nvidia-settings  always reports that the fan RPM is 0. The same is true with lm_sensors. So, I think this might be the cause, the driver sees the fan speed is 0, so it ramps up the fan speed, but it still reads 0, so it ramps it up even further.

I'm forced to use the nouveau driver for now to save from going deaf in one ear, but it would be nice to use the nvidia driver for a few games.

Does this happen with a bare metal Linux install?

Well, I was going to reply 'No' because I knew from my prior bare-metal install it was working fine, but I tried bare-metal again today and it did the same thing, so thank you for testing my assumptions there!

It seems that it is an issue with that particular card *in that particular PCI slot*. I swapped the position of my cards and everything works well now, with nvidia-settings correctly displaying the fan RPM.

Thanks again.

Archived