Cannot access unRaid

Hi guys,

I just added a few HDD and was trying to preclear them. After preclear runs about 3/4%, I cant access the system anymore. Can some one please have a look at my diagnosis please.

I just tried to look @ your syslog and I only have entries from Mar  4 21:22:38 to Mar  4 21:26:08

Looking @ those timestamps I guess you have rebooted the server and as a result the syslog where the potential error / issue was logged has been erased.

Try and do what you did again. Step by Step. This time (when the GUI becomes unresponsive) DON'T hard reset. Telnet into the "Tower" and execute "diagnostics" on the command line and post the zip file (which is saved to /boot/logs). In order for us to help you the syslog / diagnostics file is better captured before a reboot.

It is really embracing, you to my rescue again. Lol anyway I have no idea how to do Telnet  :-[

No worries. We can get there. Is your main PC running Mac OSX or Windows or Linux?

:)

I note that you are using the Preclear Plugin. I don't think this is an issue as the Plugin is not in BETA anymore. What options do you select? Which preclear script are you using (normal or the Bjp "Faster" script)?

I am sure you got past this but for the sake of finishing the support thread off, here goes:

What is Telnet?

Telnet is a user command and an underlying TCP/IP protocol for accessing remote computers. Through Telnet, an administrator or another user can access someone else's computer remotely. On the Web, HTTP and FTP protocols allow you to request specific files from remote computers, but not to actually be logged on as a user of that computer. With Telnet, you log on as a regular user with whatever privileges you may have been granted to the specific application and data on that computer.

In your case you use a Telnet client from your windows 10 machine to access the "Linux Command Line Interface" of unRAID.

The following link explains how you would enable Telnet in Windows 10: https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-enable-the-telnet-client-in-windows-10/

One Installed you would:

1. Open the Run Dialog via <Windows Key> + R

2. Type "telnet Tower" <enter>

3. <enter> until you're prompted for a login. When you are, type "root" and <enter>. You do not need a password so you should not be prompted for one.

After a chat with another forum member I decided to change my advice. For Windows users, rather than use the Windows Telnet Client use Putty:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

- Download it to a nice secure place on your PC (so you won't accidentally delete it - putty is a standalone application that requires no installation.)

- Run Putty

- Enter Hostname or IP Address of your unRAID server in "Hostname or IP Address" Field (e.g. Tower or 192.168.1.2)

- Click the "Telnet" radio button in the "Connection Type" section

- Click "Open"

A Terminal Window will open and you will be presented with a Black Screen with the unRAID Server login Prompt:

Tower login:

-Enter "root"

- Press <enter>

Tower login: root
Linux 4.1.18-unRAID
Last login Sunday Mar    6 10:24:09 +11:00 2016 on /dev/pts/2 from daniels-macbookair.danioj.lan.
root@Tower:~#

That's it, you have successfully made a Telnet Connection to your unRAID Server.

No that you're on the command line. To get your diagnostics file you would:

1. Type "diagnostics" Press <enter>

2. You will see something like this:

Tower login: root
Linux 4.1.18-unRAID
Last login Sunday Mar    6 10:24:09 +11:00 2016 on /devpts/2 from daniels-macbookair.danioj.lan
root@Tower:~#diagnostics
Starting diagnostics collection... done.
ZIP file '/boot/logs/main-diagnostics-20160306-1024.zip' created.
root@Tower:~#

3. Goto "\\Tower\flash\logs\" share on your unRAID Server from your Windows machine and Copy the diagnostics file. Save it to your computer. It is now ready to be posted to the support forum.

Now you're ready to use the Command Line via Telnet - should the unRAID WebGUI become unresponsive in the future and you need to grab your diagnostics file to attached to a support thread.

ok dainoj thanks again. I will try to do that preclear the disk again and then telnet to the system. Thanks again champ

On the advice of another forum member I have changed the method from using the Telnet Client that comes with Windows to using a Powerful SSH and Telnet Client called Putty.

The Windows Client requires additional configuration to use some nifty Command Line Tools (e.g.: Midnight Commander) with unRAID. Putty does not. So to set you up to win and not fail, Putty is the tool to use.

Instructions have been modified accordingly.