Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 MoBo - OK for unRAID & VM's?

Redstorm

Hello Community,

OK, so my original unRAID build (a HP microserver 36L) has now reached capacity and it's time to move on and upgrade!!!

I haven't been active on the boards for quite a whiole and it seems like lots has changed - so here's my plan & Questions...

I want to take advantage of the Virtualisation technology and build quite a powerful server, such that it will happily run unRAID (upto 14/15 drives eventually), SAB, SB, CP et al BUT also double as a gaming rig - yes I know I am probably expecting a lot - what can I say.

Gaming wise I want to run FSX (yes, I like Flight SIMs) and I'm getting into FPS's so Call of duty and similar.

I'm keen to try and future proof as much as possible in terms of performance, so want a REALLY fast boot / OS drive and was thinking of using a couple of M2 (PCIe  Gen3 x4) SSD's in RAID 0 (Stripe) to boost throughput and [HOPEFULLY] boot lightening quick!!! - Comments and obsevations gratefully received (also keen to hear from ANYONE who has done this before.

So Hardware wise I was thinking about the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 as this MoBO has TWO M2 slots onboard. It also has quite a few SATA ports and PCIe slots

CPU wise I was thinking of perhaps an i7 6500K if budget allows or maybe the 4790K - Again Comments and suggestions PLEASE!

So I'd love to get some feedback please guys - can I do this? Will it work?

Thanks in anticipation

Archived