Wanna build an unraid server - questions

samukas

Hi everyone! First of all, it's a great pleasure to be around what appears to be a great and helpful community  :)

Well, I'm not exactly an hardware kind-of-guy, I do have some (little) experience, but would like you input in several questions and doubts that I have regarding both hardware and software. I'm wanting to build an unRAID server  ;D

HARDWARE:

I have a Desktop PC that I bought 1-and-a-half year ago, and I'd like to use most of it's hardware.

I'll keep my ASUS P5NT WS motherboard as it has lots of slots for expansion

6 SATA PORTS

3 x PCIe x16 slot

2 x PCIe x1 slot

1 x PCI 2.2

1 x PCI-X slot

I've got 2GB of RAM and a Core2Duo running at 3.0Ghz, so I'll keep that too.

I have doubts though, regarding Power Supply (and HDDs). I want to build a future-proof unRAID server and I already have lots of content I'd like to put there. For starters, I'd just run the server with 4 or 6 drives, but I want to make sure I can add the maximum HDDs possible. I realize that most of you guys here have less than 16 drivers but I'd like to know your opinions about having a server with 21 drives (the maximum unRAID supports, I believe). I know that write speeds and parity checks will get slower due to bus speed, I don't really mind about that, I just want to make sure it doesn't damage the drives.

Also, I don't know which power source I should get as I can't find how many Watts the system would be consuming with all drives spinned up and as I said, I don't want to damage anything.

I'm also a bit torn with the case I should pick... I don't have many (cheap) options for 16+ drives, the best I could find is the

X-Case RM 420 (clone of the Norco?) for 410€ - allows 20 hot-swappable drivers

LianLi Cube for 286.60€ + (five or six) Coolermaster 4-in-3 Stackers for 22.90€ each (this would allow 24 drivers max).

The price is basically the same, all things considered, I have just to figure out if both have good airflow and fans are silent...

SOFTWARE:

- I realize most of you guys is using the latest beta version. Normally, I wouldn't use a beta release to trust my data, but it appears to be pretty stable. Shall I go for the beta, or stick to the latest stable release?

- I believe I read that there is a add-on (script?) that allows the server to be safelly powered-down with the power-down button in the case, instead of having to enter the web-interface? I looked a little bit but couldn't find it.

Well, I guess this is it guys! I hope you can help me with my questions, I'm impaciently waiting for christmas holidays to build my server hehehe

Hi everyone! First of all, it's a great pleasure to be around what appears to be a great and helpful community  :)

Well, I'm not exactly an hardware kind-of-guy, I do have some (little) experience, but would like you input in several questions and doubts that I have regarding both hardware and software. I'm wanting to build an unRAID server  ;D

HARDWARE:

I have a Desktop PC that I bought 1-and-a-half year ago, and I'd like to use most of it's hardware.

I'll keep my ASUS P5NT WS motherboard as it has lots of slots for expansion

6 SATA PORTS

3 x PCIe x16 slot

2 x PCIe x1 slot

1 x PCI 2.2

1 x PCI-X slot

I've got 2GB of RAM and a Core2Duo running at 3.0Ghz, so I'll keep that too.

I have doubts though, regarding Power Supply (and HDDs). I want to build a future-proof unRAID server and I already have lots of content I'd like to put there. For starters, I'd just run the server with 4 or 6 drives, but I want to make sure I can add the maximum HDDs possible. I realize that most of you guys here have less than 16 drivers but I'd like to know your opinions about having a server with 21 drives (the maximum unRAID supports, I believe). I know that write speeds and parity checks will get slower due to bus speed, I don't really mind about that, I just want to make sure it doesn't damage the drives.

Also, I don't know which power source I should get as I can't find how many Watts the system would be consuming with all drives spinned up and as I said, I don't want to damage anything.

I'm also a bit torn with the case I should pick... I don't have many (cheap) options for 16+ drives, the best I could find is the

X-Case RM 420 (clone of the Norco?) for 410€ - allows 20 hot-swappable drivers

LianLi Cube for 286.60€ + (five or six) Coolermaster 4-in-3 Stackers for 22.90€ each (this would allow 24 drivers max).

The price is basically the same, all things considered, I have just to figure out if both have good airflow and fans are silent...

heat is your enemy.  With 20+ drives, you need good airflow across the drives. If each emits 3 watts of heat the total heat load is 60 watts.  Ever tried to hold onto a 60 watt light bulb when its been on for a while... well, you get the idea.

Look for a "single rail" power supply.  If you are planning on 20 drives, you will be taxing most supplies.  Each drive needs 2 to 3 amps on the +12 volt rail when spinning up.  You will probably need between 40 and 60 amps of capacity.  I'd consider something like Corsair TX650 (52A) , Corsair TX750 (60A), or Corsair TX850(70A) depending on your expected needs.  (If you use "green" drives, any of those three would work. )

SOFTWARE:

- I realize most of you guys is using the latest beta version. Normally, I wouldn't use a beta release to trust my data, but it appears to be pretty stable. Shall I go for the beta, or stick to the latest stable release?

Use the beta... the "beta" features have nothing to do with the safety of your data... The performance improvements are worth it. 

- I believe I read that there is a add-on (script?) that allows the server to be safelly powered-down with the power-down button in the case, instead of having to enter the web-interface? I looked a little bit but couldn't find it.

You've not discovered the wiki.  The link for it is in my signature line.  Look for the add-on section. 

Well, I guess this is it guys! I hope you can help me with my questions, I'm impaciently waiting for christmas holidays to build my server hehehe

Welcome to the forum... good luck with your server build. 

Joe L.

If you are in the USA, or a country where newegg ships, the three Corsair supplies I listed are on sale with free shipping and a rebate.

650 Watt  $98.99 - $10 rebate = $88.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

750 Watt  $107.99 - $20 rebate = 87.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

850 watt  $139.99 - $20 rebate = 119.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

For me, if you will be anticipating a lot of drives in your server, it would seem the 750 watt supply is by far the best deal... it is one dollar LESS than the 650 watt supply.

Joe L.

Thank you for your answers, Joe L.

I do not live in the US, but I'll definitely check where I can buy Corsair power supplies here!

heat is your enemy.  With 20+ drives, you need good airflow across the drives. If each emits 3 watts of heat the total heat load is 60 watts.  Ever tried to hold onto a 60 watt light bulb when its been on for a while... well, you get the idea.

one doubt here... Do you mean 3watts of heat when spinning or when when idle? 'Cause I just checked a post in this thread(I had not seen it yet): http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4682.0

and the second post says: "The hard disks use about 3-4W idle, so add another 15W for 5 drives."

I'm kind of "scared" now, because if it's 3-4W just when in idle, how much would it be when spinning?

Thank you for your answers, Joe L.

I do not live in the US, but I'll definitely check where I can buy Corsair power supplies here!

one doubt here... Do you mean 3watts of heat when spinning or when when idle? 'Cause I just checked a post in this thread(I had not seen it yet): http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4682.0

and the second post says: "The hard disks use about 3-4W idle, so add another 15W for 5 drives."

I'm kind of "scared" now, because if it's 3-4W just when in idle, how much would it be when spinning?

That is the power estimate when idle (not when sleeping).  Each drive is different when spinning.  Slower RPM drives tend to draw less power.

See this post I found that did an actual measurement of a spinning drive:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/hdd-power-cons.html

It shows that the tested disk used 12.44 watts when spinning drawing 1.04 amps at 12 volts. (and 5.63 watts on the 5 volt rail)  The "peak" amperage was 2.71 Amps

and that would equate to a peak power draw of that that drive of  12volts * 2.71 Amps = 32.52 Watts on the 12 volt rail and 5volts * 1.63 Amps = 8.15 watts on the 5 volt rail.    The total power used would then be over 40 watts.

As posted, the idle draw would depend on the specific drives used.  "Green" drives are better when spun down than non-green drives.

Joe L.