Brand new disk disabled after a few days

Hi All,

I had an ageing WD RED 3TB that had failed and i replaced it with another WD RED 3TB, everything had been fine, until last night the drive got some read errors after a parity check and a few hours later was disabled.

I am chasing advice on what my next move should be, reboot and re-add the drive? Pre clear it again see results then re-add the drive, other suggestions / ideas.

I checked and made sure all cables were nicely seated when i put the new drive in but i can check this again.

Unfortunately the drive that previously failed has been RMA'd, i was told they would straight swap but wan't the case when i arrived, so i don't currently have a hot spare.

My array is 11 3TB drives, one of which is Parity, and an SSD for cache.

Last disk in the array is currently disabled.

Diagnostics are attached, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,

ironman-diagnostics-20160419-1141.zip

You have 2 drives giving you problems, sdc WDC_WD15EARS-00Z5B1_WD-WMAVU1666134 (unassigned) and sdd WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N4PR0ZHX (Disk 10).

In the syslog, sdc gave the most trouble, actually dropped from the system about 15 times, but always recovered again, and reassigned to sdc each time.  Thankfully you aren't using it, so may not have even noticed it had issues.  The fact that it keeps dropping off may indicate it is loose (if in a backframe) or its cables are loose.  Check its SATA and power cables for tight connections, both ends.  It also has 1270 current pending sectors, bad sectors, so needs to be Precleared several times.

Disk 10 (sdd) didn't report near as many problems, but they were much worse, true bad sectors and a failure to write a sector.  The drive has dropped off, so no SMART report was available to check.  It should return after a reboot.  It too probably needs to be Precleared a couple of times, then if OK rebuilt.  But check its SMART report after you reboot.

I imagine you know, but the user bedroom has issues, constantly causing errors in the syslog.  Also, users NOUSER and xbmc are having problems too.  I don't know what the problems are.