Added SATA Card, all funky now

(sort of x-posted from Storage Devices and Controllers)

I had a wonderful working Windows 8.1 VM with a passed through GPU. Worked like a charm.

I ran out of SATA slots and added a used Adpatec 1430SA, and when I booted up with it in, everything seemed fine. But when I tried to boot up the VM, no joy. Then, mysteriously (okay, not at all mysteriously) the drives on the card stopped working too. The system can see them, but I can't do anything with them.

I am getting the following errors:

1. When I scan drives on "unassigned drives":

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/scripts/rc.unassigned reload >/dev/null 2>&1 & disown' [23149] terminated by signal 7 (Bus error)

2. Attempt to start the VM:

kernel: vgaarb: device changed decodes: PCI:0000:01:00.0,olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=io+mem:owns=none

The VM will run if I edit the VM to use VNC, and my other not-passed through VM also runs.

My short term fix is to unplug the SATA card, but I think this is just me not doing something to tell either my hardware or unraid that I have a new PCI card installed and everything is confused. Something in my syslinux.cfg? A bind:vfio thing?

Any ideas? If logs or other info is needed, post and I will get it up.

TIA

The VM will run if I edit the VM to use VNC, and my other not-passed through VM also runs.

My suspicion is the SATA card and GPU are on the same IOMMU groups - assuming everything works before the SATA card was introduced.

Perhaps, trying turning on ACS Override to see if it helps.

Otherwise, I bet someone will ask for full diagnostic log.

My suspicion is the SATA card and GPU are on the same IOMMU groups - assuming everything works before the SATA card was introduced.

Perhaps, trying turning on ACS Override to see if it helps.

Thanks testdasi! Every time I think I have this figured out I learn about something new (or something I missed) like IOMMU groups. Will reinstall card and see if setting the ACS override fixes it.

The simple is always the most difficult to catch.