Will this Work? i7 4790k, Windows VM with Adobe CC and NAS.

Nycwill

I'm new to setting up a NAS and using unraid, I wonder if this is possible.

So my current desktop is a

• i7 4790k
  • Gigabyte Z97x UDH
  • 16 Gigs of Ram

I want to have 2 system in one.

As a starting point, I'm going to put in 2 x 4tb WD Reds for the NAS, with 6TB parity and use my existing Evo 500gig SSD for cache.

Get a M.2 500 SSD (or M.2 for cache) to run Windows on a VM...  Will it be able to to run Adobe CC on a VM?

Any suggestions?

I have 980Ti

So the NAS won't be consider another system?

Main VM would be the Windows running mostly adobe and gaming.

So i guess 1 vm and a NAS (possibly Plex stream and ownCloud docker)

You will need 2 GPU to pass through the 980 Ti to your VM. UnRAID has issues with passing through Nvidia GPU on the primary (first) slot to VM unless the default video can be set elsewhere (e.g. server motherboard with integrated graphics). As I found out recently, it even applies to having 2 GPU passthrough to 2 VMs without a dedicated video for unRAID.

Easiest way out is to just buy a cheapo (AMD) GPU and use it on the primary slot.

Also in your case, are you planning to keep your NAS on 24/7 (or close to 24/7). Cuz if you don't, you might actually not need unRAID. Setting up a network share would be sufficient.

Thank you for the input.

I can set the default video to my on board video then or i still need to occupy the first slot with a gpu to work?

I do plan to leave on 24/7 (currently my computer is almost always on anyways)

Eventually it will be my main unraid box until I upgrade to server grade hardwares.

If i'm able to run Adobe CC and some gaming on a VM without much hiccup, i want it to my setup for now.

Thank you for the input.

I can set the default video to my on board video then or i still need to occupy the first slot with a gpu to work?

I do plan to leave on 24/7 (currently my computer is almost always on anyways)

Eventually it will be my main unraid box until I upgrade to server grade hardwares.

If i'm able to run Adobe CC and some gaming on a VM without much hiccup, i want it to my setup for now.

Then yes, that should work. The pass-through is usually what causes people most problems it seems. So maybe you can start with a trial license and see how things go.

Archived