Disk Shares - Set Certain disks to read-only?

Cant find anything in the Wiki, so think ill turn off the disk shares and then just use User Shares as then I'll have more control.

Am I right in thinking only write speed to User Shares is slow compared to disk shares - and read speed is pretty much the same?

Cant find anything in the Wiki, so think ill turn off the disk shares and then just use User Shares as then I'll have more control.

Am I right in thinking only write speed to User Shares is slow compared to disk shares - and read speed is pretty much the same?

Depends on your system, when I made my own build in beginning of 2009 with pretty much state-of-the-art hardware the user share performance (both read and write) was about 60% of a disk share. But since your read speeds are usually way more than you actually need for eg. streaming BD this does not matter. I made quite comprehensive testing in this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3958.0

Btw, I too would like to able to "lock" filled up disks. Usually there is no reason for me to change anything on the disk once it is filled up. Mostly I would like to protect the disks from myself, media players use the read-only user shares so thats already covered.

You could make a share called Disk1 and assign it to only Disk1. Then, there will be a directory Disk1 created on the disk (you actually have to write to the share or manually create it). Then, using the real disk share move all the disk data to that sub-directory with a drag and drop which has always taken no more than a few seconds on my machine since it does not actually move the data. Repeat for each disk in the server. If you use other user shares then you will have to create a link in that directory back to the root of the disk otherwise you will screw up the other shares.

Once done, turn-off the real disk shares. I'm not sure how unRAID would handle it of you did export them hidden since there'd then be 2 shares with the same name....

At any rate, this will create "virtual" disk shares that you can set read-only individually and from the "outside world" it would appear that nothing has changed.

Peter

You could make a share called Disk1 and assign it to only Disk1. Then, there will be a directory Disk1 created on the disk (you actually have to write to the share or manually create it). Then, using the real disk share move all the disk data to that sub-directory with a drag and drop which has always taken no more than a few seconds on my machine since it does not actually move the data. Repeat for each disk in the server. If you use other user shares then you will have to create a link in that directory back to the root of the disk otherwise you will screw up the other shares.

Once done, turn-off the real disk shares. I'm not sure how unRAID would handle it of you did export them hidden since there'd then be 2 shares with the same name....

At any rate, this will create "virtual" disk shares that you can set read-only individually and from the "outside world" it would appear that nothing has change

This is a great tip in it´s simplicity! You could make user-disk-shares named as Disk#u to avoid any potential conflicts. In my case all media players refer to user shares and disk shares are used only when loading mediadata to server so a name change is no problem. It would be nice if you could turn off disk shares on disk-disk basis, now it´s all or nothing.