SATA or PATA(IDE) for PArity Drive

Suse User

I currently have 2 x 750gb IDE Drives as part of my array, I'm thinking of getting another 750gb Drive but was wondering whether SATA or IDE make a better Parity drive?

I also need to consider the precise number of bytes each format to as if the Sata formats to slightly less than the IDE I'll need to use one of the IDEs as Parity anyway.

So could anyone tell me:-

1/ Is Sata or Pata better for parity

2/ Does Sata or Pata format slightly larger than the other?

Many thanks,

Mark.

Does anyone know if Sata or Pata format slightly larger under UnRaid?  I'll be using Seagate drives if brand/model makes any difference?  I'm guessing that a Sata II HDD would perform slightly better than an ATA133 IDE drive?  If this is correct I'll need to get one on order, so long as it doesn't format to less bytes than my 2 Seagate 750gb IDE drives.

Thanks,

Mark.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as it turns out.. The 750gb Sata is currently showing as 1056bytes LARGER than the 750gb IDE so I'll need to put that as the Parity drive.  I'm hoping that it's a coincidence that 1056bytes is the exact amount each of my parity drives shrunk by in my mysterious shrinking parity drive thread.

The 750gb Sata is in one of the "100% new hardware" UnRaids I have here currently and has only ever been used under UnRaid v3.  The IDE is currently residing in my original UnRaid server under v3, but lost it's 1056bytes under UnRaid v2.06.  It is due to come across to that same machine shortly.

Fingers crossed the Sata doesn't shrink  ;D

Mark.

Archived