Windows 10 - Mouse freezes when sound plays

Hi All,

I'm running a windows 10 VM on 6.2 RC1 and have an Anker 4 port pci-e  USB 3.0 card passing through all my USB devices: https://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Express-Connector-Desktops-Chipset/dp/B005ARQV6U

My mouse is a Logitech M705 also plugged in via the hub. I also have USB speakers or a USB headset passing through on this USB card. Whenever a sound is playing the mouse freezes and won't move. The keyboard however is fine.

I'm guessing it's something with virtualization and if I removed Unraid and installed Windows 10 on the hardware it wouldn't do this. I'd much rather use Unraid in the middle. Is this a common issue? Do others have no problems with a similar setup?

I want to be able to remove USB devices from my unraid box since I sometimes swap out with a laptop. What advice do you have? Or thing you'd recommend to try?

• 1 year later...

I too am having this issue. 

Attaching a keyboard, mouse, and USB Sound Card (Astro Mixamp) into a PCIe USB Card, which has then been passed to a VM via the syslinux configuration. 

Whenever a sound plays via the USB Audi Device, either the mouse or keyboard (this switches between boots) will stop receiving input for the duration of the sound. Weird.

I have confirmed that this device is MSI enabled, and using the GPU HDMI audio works fine. 

Did you ever manage to figure out the issue?

If you are passing through a GPU, make sure you are passing through the GPU's audio even if you intend to use the USB audio.

You might also confirm that your USB card is in its own IOMMU group.

Have you confirmed that the USB card behaves properly if in a stand-alone (non-VM)?

Suggest posting your diagnostics.

Hey Bjp,

Passing through a GPU and the appropriate GPU audio line, ensured that the Audio Line is MSI enabled. 

Confirmed that the passed controller is part of it's own group, in this case it's group 17.

The card itself is cheap but it seemed to work well enough. Either way, I should have another one by tomorrow, so this may be the immediate fix.

For the time being, here's the diagnostic export. 

unraid-diagnostics-20170827-1905.zip

Hey all,

Swapping out the PCIe Controller for an alternative seems to have fixed the issue, although I was unable to replicate the issue on an alternative machine with the original card.

Chalking this one up to some obscure incompatibility. 

Thanks for the assistance. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2017 at 5:47 PM, Phantom said:

Hey all,

Swapping out the PCIe Controller for an alternative seems to have fixed the issue, although I was unable to replicate the issue on an alternative machine with the original card.

Chalking this one up to some obscure incompatibility. 

Thanks for the assistance. 

I'm having the same issue but I purchased a different USB 3.0 Expansion hub.  Amazon: ORICO Hub USB 3.0 PCI-E Expansion Card Adapter

Which model did you purchase that worked for you?  I'm going to experiment with this model but I may need to purchase that as a replacement.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/19/2018 at 8:13 AM, Phantom said:

I ended up using a CSL 4-Port USB 3.

No particular reason for the selection, just a lucky purchase.

Good luck!

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I have this card too and I have a question and an issue.

Which drivers did you use to install the card within the VM?

I'm having an issue where the keyboard and mouse attached to the card occasionally freeze up for a second and I lose all control within the VM. This only seems to happen on games.

Do you have any input?