Upgrade to 6.2 then move? Or vice versa?

sonofdbn

I'm finally upgrading my unRAID machine. The current one is running 6.19 and I'd like to upgrade to 6.2 (mainly for dual parity). I'm debating whether I should upgrade to 6.2 first and then migrate to the new machine, or shift everything to the new machine first (and make sure it's working) before upgrading.

Currently I have 6 hard disks on a Supermicro C2SEA running a Pentium E6300. The new machine will be a Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F with onboard Xeon D-1541 and a Dell Perc H310.

If I upgrade first, I can't add dual parity because I have no more SATA ports, but at least I'll know that 6.2 is OK on the current setup. If I move to the new machine first, the potential problem is that if there is any hitch with upgrading, I might not know if it's a hardware or software issue.

I'm tempted to move first, because the hardware is quite mainstream and it shouldn't be a problem (touch wood) getting 6.19 and then 6.20 working on it.

Any thoughts on this?

Agree with Rob -- it really doesn't matter which order you do this in as long as you do only one thing at a time.

Personally, I'd do the upgrade to 6.2 first => this should be very simple.  Then do a parity check to confirm all's well; and THEN move everything to the new hardware.  Boot; do yet-another parity check (just to be certain nothing "glitched" during the move); and then shut down and add your 2nd parity drive ... and you'll be "off to the races"  :)

VERY nice setup for your new system, by the way  :)