WD Red NAS 8GB @ Newegg $309.99 w/promo code

Waltm

Hey, Wltm.  I went in for two.  I may use both as dual parity drives (once I stop being chicken and upgrade to 6.2).  I'll then take the drive that is freed up and use it as a dedicated DVR and Audio drive.  I don't see the benefit of those type of files being spread across my array.

Oh, if anyone knows of a reason these drives are better for the array than the parity drive do let me know.

Thank You!

... if anyone knows of a reason these drives are better for the array than the parity drive do let me know.

Not sure what you mean by "better" => clearly you need to have an 8TB parity drive to consider using one of these in the array ... but once you have these installed as parity drives they also make EXCELLENT array drives.  The 8TB Reds are basically less expensive versions of the superb HGST Ultrastar helium-sealed drives [ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145969 ].    About the only notable difference is that the Reds run at a lower rpm ... which also means they use a bit less power and run cooler.  I've got 5 of these drives, and am VERY happy with them.

... thinking of buying a couple more at this price  :)  [Although I have no need for them at this time]

Thanks for the feedback, garycase

I phrased that badly.  I was wondering if one might get an extra benefit using these for parity over array or vice versa.  You've answered my question.  A great all around drive wherever I place it. 

You are making me think I should have gotten a third :-)...

Thanks again..

... if anyone knows of a reason these drives are better for the array than the parity drive do let me know.

Not sure what you mean by "better" => clearly you need to have an 8TB parity drive to consider using one of these in the array ... but once you have these installed as parity drives they also make EXCELLENT array drives.  The 8TB Reds are basically less expensive versions of the superb HGST Ultrastar helium-sealed drives [ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145969 ].    About the only notable difference is that the Reds run at a lower rpm ... which also means they use a bit less power and run cooler.  I've got 5 of these drives, and am VERY happy with them.

... thinking of buying a couple more at this price  :)  [Although I have no need for them at this time]