Unraid multi-desk weird behavior of 580

FlyingPenguin

Hi all, I have some friends coming over for a few weeks and they cant bring their computers. Since I have a 6core processor and I used to run SLI GTX580s before I upgraded to a 1070 I figured I would set up a multi-desk situation to let 3 people game on my one computer.

I ran into issues when I couldn't get any VMs to passthrough to my GTX580s. After some research I discovered that seems to be about normal so I was going to give up when I tried making an openELEC and it booted to my 580! Since then I have been able to get Ubuntu and ELEC to load up with 580 passthrough (the bios doesn't show but once the OS loads the GPU it works). The one thing I havn't been able to do however, is get it to work in windows. Even when remote in and try to install nvidia drivers.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am unsure what types of logs or data would be helpful, but if you ask for it I am willing to find out how to get it and upload.

I had a Asus GTX 580 which had a Strange bios. Setting the vm to seabios Fixed it, even though the Card can do ovmf/uefi.

I figured Out in the Web that those early dualbios cards do Not quite work 100% as they should and had the BIOS mostly Designed tojust work with Windows.

In case of Asus there were Fixed BIOS from a third Party on some Site, for me it did Not work as none was available for the 4gb Version but many others  were Happy. I do Not have a Link anymore though.

I never though to use the seabios =(.

It works now!

Though I do have an annoying thing where the 580s won't reset when the VM shuts down, so Every time I start the computer or every time I restart a VM I have to suspend then awake the entire unraid server. If you know how to force a PCIe card to reset that would be awesome.

Archived