(Solved) rsync awesome / rsync ssh - not so much for offsite backup....

tr0910

Edit: finally found a working solution

rsync -avu --numeric-ids --progress  -e "ssh -i /root/.ssh/Tower-rsync-key  -T  -o Compression=no -x "  /mnt/disk1/  [email protected]:/mnt/disk1/

More about the solution here

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=54567.msg521358#msg521358

I can mount a second server via nfs on my local gbit lan and in about a minute run an rsync on a 100,000 (2 tb) of files.  (assuming they are all up to date and no files need to be copied)  I have been doing this for 5 years now and can attest to the integrity of rsync for local backups.  Disks from the second server are mounted as NFS and rsynced as follows really fast.

mkdir /mnt/s1disk4
mount -t nfs server1:/mnt/disk4/ /mnt/s1disk4
rsync -avu --stats --progress /mnt/disk4/ /mnt/s1disk4/ 

but doing this via ssh over the gigabit internet takes hours, or it never finishes.  Is there a better way??

mkdir /mnt/s1ssh
sshfs -o allow_other,IdentityFile=~/.ssh/Kim-rsync-key [email protected]:/ /mnt/s1ssh
rsync -avu --stats --progress /mnt/disk4/ /mnt/s1ssh/mnt/disk4/

also tried without mounting via sshfs (from the Nerdpack) with the same results.

rsync -avz -e "ssh -i /root/.ssh/Kim-rsync-key" /mnt/disk4/ [email protected]:/mnt/disk4/

What am I doing wrong??

Copying files that are not yet synced seems to work exceptionally well, but most of the time the files are fully  in sync and nothing needs copied.

(I plan to use rsync to do a daily backup of my server to an offsite duplicate unRaid server.  Most files are static and both unRaid servers will start up fully synced. One servers is unRaid 6.2.4 and the other one is unRaid 6.3rc6  Gigabit internet connected to both servers.)