Setting specific disk to VM.

anony

Hi,

New user here with no experience. I read through most of the basic documentation on how unRAID works. I have a few questions.

How can I assign two separate disks to two VMs. Would this be done by selecting two disks with or without a parity drive then creating a share for each disk which each share can be assigned to a specific VM?

Secondly, lets say I want two Windows VMs running off of 1 512GB SSD split so each VM has 240GB allocated alongside a third VM for backup with a single 1TB HDD & a parity drive. Would I assign a 1TB+ drive as parity1 then a 1TB HDD as disk1 with the 512GB SSD as disk2. Add a share for the 1TB HDD & 512GB SSD; split the 512GB SSD to 240GB per Windows VM. After create a share for the 1TB disk and assign that to the 3rd VM?

Supposedly the parity drive will take care of both disks in-case 1 has a fault, or is it a lot more complicated than that? Thanks

Please link any helpful guides as I am currently a blind man in this binary world.

Running VM's off disks that are part of the parity protected array causes a severe performance hit because of the slow write performance of such disks.  Most people run VMs off either the cache drive or disks that are not part of the array to maximise performance. 

If you run off disks outside the array then you need to realize that the VMs are then not protected against disk failure so you need a backup strategy appropriate to the intended use if the VM.  Also you need to be aware that such drives still count towards the attached devices licence limits.