After a reboot one of my disks shows as uninstalled

gabbott

Well, maybe the issue was a bad cable, found this in the wiki:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Analysis_of_Drive_Issues

Drive interface issue #2

res 40/00:00:48:19:67/00:00:1e:00:00/40 Emask 0x50 (ATA bus error)

ata3: SError: { UnrecovData HostInt 10B8B BadCRC }

These errors are usually related to a bad cable or cable connector. The presence of BadCRC is a pretty good indicator of a poor quality SATA cable.

SError: { UnrecovData HostInt 10B8B BadCRC } was something I found in my syslogs.

So I swapped out the sata cable and rebooted. It booted back up and now says "Disabled disk replaced." Now it is giving me the option to rebuild the data.

Just make absolutely certain you press "Start" to rebuild the contents.  Do not use the button labeled as "restore" it will immediately invalidate parity and throw away the data on the disk that had the poor connection and was reported as uninstalled.

Press "Start" to rebuild your disk.

The reason you were able to get to the contents was because the parity disk and the other data disks were used to simulate the missing drive.  It is exactly why we have RAID arrays.  We can still watch a movie with a failed drive.

Joe L.

So I swapped out the sata cable and rebooted. It booted back up and now says "Disabled disk replaced." Now it is giving me the option to rebuild the data.

Just make absolutely certain you press "Start" to rebuild the contents.  Do not use the button labeled as "restore" it will immediately invalidate parity and throw away the data on the disk that had the poor connection and was reported as uninstalled.

The reason you were able to get to the contents was because the parity disk and the other data disks were used to simulate the missing drive.  It is exactly why we have RAID arrays.  We can still watch a movie with a failed drive.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe, I did make sure I pressed "start" and the drive is rebuilding currently. Guess I didn't realize with the drive missing you could still get to the data using the parity drive. I just thought have the parity allowed me to rebuild the failed drive, not necessarily access the data. Good to know.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe, I did make sure I pressed "start" and the drive is rebuilding currently. Guess I didn't realize with the drive missing you could still get to the data using the parity drive. I just thought have the parity allowed me to rebuild the failed drive, not necessarily access the data. Good to know.

You can not just get to the data, you can write to it too. 

Unless you keep an eye on the management console, or install one of the add-ons that alert you in the event of a drive failure you may never know of a failed drive until a second drive fails... and then you lose the contents of both.

Your drive should be restored soon enough.

Joe L.

You can not just get to the data, you can write to it too.   

I was just about to ask the question of writing to a failed drive but you already just answered that.  :)

I have yet to get into installing any addons but I'm thinking I should look into at the very least getting something setup to give me notification of a disk failure and until then I probably should make it a habit to keep an eye on the drives' status.

Archived