Having a VM use multiple bridge interfaces

Hello,

I've been searching the forums and have had no luck, so I'm hoping someone might know what I'm missing. I have a new UnRaid server with two Intel GigE cards, each connected to a different VLAN. I have them both configured in the Web interface of UnRaid as bridging, br0 and br1 respectively. I have created an Ubuntu VM that I need two network interfaces; one from br0 and one from br1. Using the Ubuntu template br0 is the default and that is fine. My issue is adding br1 to the VM. I edited the VMs .xml and added a 2nd interface similar to br0, duplicating the configuration but changing only the slot number to an unused slot and changing the MAC address for the second NIC, so my configuration looks like this:

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:93:57:5f'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
      <mac address='52:54:00:93:57:55'/>
      <source bridge='br1'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

The second interface shows up in Ubuntu upon restart, but it remains in a disabled state and I can't assign it an IP address. The second VLAN contains a traffic intensive application that uses this VM and my router cannot handle the throughput, which is why I need the second interface on that VLAN. In frustration I tried passing through the entire NIC, but the IOMMU groupings won't allow that. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Thank you very much in advance.

Ok, this does work. As soon as I gave the interface an IP it came up. As the GUI didn't give me the option and I'm still coming up to speed on Linux, I didn't realize why it would stay disconnected. Hopefully this post will still help someone else, as I searched for a while and couldn't find the answer here, this Link on an Ubuntu forum showed me the answer, but the only step required was the editing of the .xml file as UnRaid had already taken care of the other steps. Interesting to see how the 2nd bridged interface becomes a drop down in the GUI.

Edited by SLogik
I'm an idiot
  • 5 years later...
On 3/19/2017 at 7:58 AM, SLogik said:

Hello,

I've been searching the forums and have had no luck, so I'm hoping someone might know what I'm missing. I have a new UnRaid server with two Intel GigE cards, each connected to a different VLAN. I have them both configured in the Web interface of UnRaid as bridging, br0 and br1 respectively. I have created an Ubuntu VM that I need two network interfaces; one from br0 and one from br1. Using the Ubuntu template br0 is the default and that is fine. My issue is adding br1 to the VM. I edited the VMs .xml and added a 2nd interface similar to br0, duplicating the configuration but changing only the slot number to an unused slot and changing the MAC address for the second NIC, so my configuration looks like this:

<mac address='52:54:00:93:57:5f'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
      <mac address='52:54:00:93:57:55'/>
      <source bridge='br1'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

The second interface shows up in Ubuntu upon restart, but it remains in a disabled state and I can't assign it an IP address. The second VLAN contains a traffic intensive application that uses this VM and my router cannot handle the throughput, which is why I need the second interface on that VLAN. In frustration I tried passing through the entire NIC, but the IOMMU groupings won't allow that. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Thank you very much in advance.

Ok, this does work. As soon as I gave the interface an IP it came up. As the GUI didn't give me the option and I'm still coming up to speed on Linux, I didn't realize why it would stay disconnected. Hopefully this post will still help someone else, as I searched for a while and couldn't find the answer here, this Link on an Ubuntu forum showed me the answer, but the only step required was the editing of the .xml file as UnRaid had already taken care of the other steps. Interesting to see how the 2nd bridged interface becomes a drop down in the GUI.

Having two bridge interfaces on Unraid server , BR0 and BR1,  will it be doing inter-bridge routing. Will the interface IPs BR0 and BR1 route be reachable to each other. I am asking because I want a similiar setup but I want inter-bridge communication controlled via external firewall.