SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3EG HD203WI 2TB - $149 + free ship @ NewEgg

aiden

wouldnt mind seeing some benchmarks with queue/multi io load o these drives. the hitachis are faster than wd blacks in this regards, if these are faster than the hitachis then would make ideal parity drive.

at 5900 RPM these will never be faster than a 7200 RPM drive when being written to, since the disk rotation speed dictates the write throughput.

It may, or may not be faster than the Hitachi when doing a parity check, since the disk only has to be sequentially read in that operation.  It would be interesting as to which has the highest sustained read speed when dealing with large amounts of data.

The marketing materials focus on peak burst read speed of the SATA Bus.  That is far easier to boast about than sustained read speed. I seldom ever see that mentioned. 

Joe L.

It is like saying a car can be used on roads rated for 300 MPH, when the car can't do that even if falling at terminal velocity. ;D

Thanks for posting this, just ordered 4 more of these. I purchased 4 in December for the same price and they have been nothing but fantastic. This should now enable me to do the level 1 testing with my mobo and the Adaptec 1430SA controller that I have yet to install. For a total of 8 drives with 14 TB on-line way to go.

I thought I remember reading somewhere to disable the on board BIOS for the controller, any suggestions on that?

Thanks

O2G

wouldnt mind seeing some benchmarks with queue/multi io load o these drives. the hitachis are faster than wd blacks in this regards, if these are faster than the hitachis then would make ideal parity drive.

I'm actually just trying to mix up my array so I don't have too many drives from the same manufacturer/model.  I already have 2 Hitachis, so I wanted to grab something different that didn't have a high mortality rate, like the WD's seem to have right now.

Thanks for posting this, just ordered 4 more of these. I purchased 4 in December for the same price and they have been nothing but fantastic.

That's what I'm hoping for.  The mule I use to make my media copies at work and bring them home is a Samsung 200 GB, and it has been steady in that role.