2 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3EG Open Box - $118.99 + Shipping

Rajahal

Decent deal but I've never liked the phrases "open box" and "hard drive" next to each other.  Also, has Samsung improved their RMA process any? Last time I thought about buying Samsung it was absolutely archaic compared to the procedures at Seagate and Western Digital.

Ditto here, I have about 9 Samsung 2TB drives and a slew of 500 Gig to 1TB drives for over 5 years and have yet to return a drive. The worst that happened was the partition changed from static to dynamic after a mobo BIOS update. R-Studio to the rescue and I got the data off. Reformatted the drive and it is still operational.

I've actually never RMA'd any drive of any brand...guess I'm lucky.  I had my first hard drive failure recently (fails SMART and SeaTools), it was an old 500 GB Seagate drive with a 5 year warranty (which expires in 2012).  The drive was in my desktop, not my unRAID server, but I wasn't using it to store any important data anyway.  I looked into the RMA process, but when I realized what a hassle it is (the packing instructions, specifically), I decided to just give the drive away to a friend.  I told him if he bothers to complete the RMA, then he can keep the returned drive.  500 GBs is a significant size to him, whereas it is negligible to me.  I really have no use for my 500 GB drives any more, I've been giving them away left and right.  I made one into an external and gave it to my sister for backups.

Archived