Share Settings Question

If I have some full drives of data that will not change, is it better to exclude them from a share, or better to set my share settings minimum allocation amount to a higher number than is available on the drive? I seem to remember the minimum did not do what I previously intended.

Currently, I have been keeping all drives distributed evenly (space-wise), but its a pain in the ass and probably the incorrect way to do things for drive health and usage. So I moved my data around and I have 6 of 8 drives that can be "locked" so to speak (data wont change). I still need my files from those drives accessible (Movies, TV Shows etc), but I don't want unRAID writing to them anymore.

Personally I wouldn't exclude the drives from those shares.  While the media within the share(s) isn't going to change, there is a possibility that you may update the meta data (eg: Kodi's .nfo files) associated with them.  Excluding would mean that the .nfo files would be separated on a different disk than the media files (assuming of course you have split level's set to keep everything together)

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Personally I wouldn't exclude the drives from those shares.  While the media within the share(s) isn't going to change, there is a possibility that you may update the meta data (eg: Kodi's .nfo files) associated with them.  Excluding would mean that the .nfo files would be separated on a different disk than the media files (assuming of course you have split level's set to keep everything together)

so what is the best way to make it so the drives are ignored for adding new movies? Basically what happens is if I have a drive set to 10GB minimum it still tries to sometimes push files to it causing it to fail, or push a partial file (even worse). I just want the drive ignored unless manual intervention is used (like if I update my meta data with Ember Media Manager. The drive(s) wont change for a LONG time, they are 4TB full of only 1080p movies.

28 minutes ago, wickedathletes said:

so what is the best way to make it so the drives are ignored for adding new movies? Basically what happens is if I have a drive set to 10GB minimum it still tries to sometimes push files to it causing it to fail, or push a partial file (even worse). I just want the drive ignored unless manual intervention is used (like if I update my meta data with Ember Media Manager. The drive(s) wont change for a LONG time, they are 4TB full of only 1080p movies.

You have split levels and allocation methods to play with.  Set them up how you want...