Unraid on MSI K8N neo4 platinum w/AMD64 3200+ (questions for new build)

cheezdog

Hello,

I have been reading this board for a couple of weeks now in preparation of piecing together an unraid box. As the subject suggests, I currently am looking to convert an msi k8n neo4 platinum (socket 939) with an amd64 3200+ cpu into an unraid device. This is currently my main computer and, before I upgrade, I'd like to try and make sure everything is going to work.

So far, I have installed unraid (version 4 beta 4) on a flash drive and managed to get the computer to boot off the usb drive. I didn't assign any disks, etc. since the one disk I have in the computer is the drive windows is installed on and I'm not ready to get rid of it just yet. I was able, however, to connect to said computer using unraid's web interface and I did see the one drive in the list of what was available. I'm guessing this means unraid can see/use drives hooked up to the nvidia sata ports and that the network drivers in unraid work with the onboard nic. Without a new drive in hand, I can't really test to see if unraid will mount the drive and/or be able to use it. Has anyone come across a situation where unraid can see a drive on their system but can't mount/use it?

While doing research on this particular motherboard, I see that it has 4 sataII ports attached to the nvidia chipset and 4 more sataI ports which are controlled by what looks like a silicon image si3114 chip. My question is, will unraid work with the si3114 chip? I thought I had read somewhere that it should but it is untested.

Finally, I am planning on setting the system up to take, at the maximum, 6 disks. Does anyone have a recommendation for a power supply for such a system?

Thanks so much for the help!

Scott