Camera and backup server

CeeJay

I'm interested in building an UnRAID server with 2 main functions, weekly backups for 2 Windows machines and as a NVR for UBNT Unifi G3 Cameras. This is the hardware I had in mind:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QczwXH

The SSDs will run in Raid 1, and so will the HDDs. Is the Pentium enough for this kind of load? I'm positive it is, after all it's a dual core with hyperthreading. Is the ECC RAM necessary? I would like to use a microATX/miniITX motherboard but I couldn't find one that supports ECC RAM. Any other advice?

3 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

unRAID is software raid, why are you proposing to run hardware RAID 1? ECC ram is not necessary IMO for this application. Parts look fine for what you want to do.

Sorry, used the wrong term. Yes I will do disk parity through UnRAID. Do you think the software can run 24/7 with no user intervention? 

Not sure what you are referring to when you say 'software' if you mean unRAID that absolutely, as long as the hardware is setup correctly, cooling is adequate, you have a UPS, then yes. I would think the majority of unRAID users run their servers 24/7.

Just now, ashman70 said:

Not sure what you are referring to when you say 'software' if you mean unRAID that absolutely, as long as the hardware is setup correctly, cooling is adequate, you have a UPS, then yes. I would think the majority of unRAID users run their servers 24/7.

Yeah the only thing I'm afraid of is random data corruption because of no ECC RAM. But the choice for ECC rated motherboards is poor.

36 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

ECC ram will only protect you from memory errors, data corruption is a whole different problem. There is a check sum plugin you can install to protect yourself against data corruption but personally it's not something I worry about.

Perfect. How much RAM do you recommend? Is 8 GB enough for my use scenario? 

Archived