GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H

queeg

I came across this motherboard and it looks like a good one for a Pro license build.  That's bigger than I need but maybe someone else.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128398&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-13-128-398-_-Product

Chipsets

North Bridge AMD 790GX

South Bridge AMD SB750

Expansion Slots

PCI Express 2.0 x16 2, running at x16 or x8/x8

PCI Express x1 3

PCI Slots 2

Storage Devices

PATA 1 x ATA133 2 Dev. Max

SATA 3Gb/s 6

Onboard LAN

LAN Chipset Realtek 8111C

Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps

Onboard 1394

Onboard 1394 2x 1394a

I came across this motherboard and it looks like a good one for a Pro license build.  That's bigger than I need but maybe someone else.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128398&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-13-128-398-_-Product

Chipsets

North Bridge AMD 790GX

South Bridge AMD SB750

Expansion Slots

PCI Express 2.0 x16 2, running at x16 or x8/x8

PCI Express x1 3

PCI Slots 2

Storage Devices

PATA 1 x ATA133 2 Dev. Max

SATA 3Gb/s 6

Random HPA Problems which kills data

Onboard LAN

LAN Chipset Realtek 8111C

Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps

Onboard 1394

Onboard 1394 2x 1394a

fixed.

I can't see any compatibility with the North/South chipsets that this mobo has on the unraid Hardware Compatibility list (It might be supported with unraid now and the listing could be a little outdated), though the Realtek 8111C NIC is definitely supported. I'd be weary of buying it seeing that the Hardware Compatibility list doesn't state that these chipsets are supported, unless you can get a refund/swap over for another mobo if after buying it and it doesn't work unraid.

I just changed my mobo on my rig from Gigabyte to Asus purely to avoid the HPA issue. Don't get me wrong, this mobo looks great (theoretically with the expansion slots and SATA ports), but for a unraid server, I wouldn't use Gigabyte post 'HPA'/'Virtual Dual BIOS'/'Backup BIOS Image to HDD' features were introduced into them. It would be a fantastic mobo for a Windows PC though.

I think this HPA thing is solved by getting the bios updated and disabling the HPA (bios backup) feature.  Maligning all Gigabyte boards really isn't fair.  I used a gigabyte board on my unRAID machine for a couple months and all I did was disable the feature.  In fact, it came with the feature disabled as I remember it.

Hi queeg, I'm not giving Gigabyte a bad name, believe me. I have/had used Gigabyte extensively for my Windows-based PCs (both past and present) I have around the house and when I was a PC System Builder years ago, I would favour Gigabyte over other other brands hands down for PCs I assembled knowing Gis a good brand. I simply wouldn't use Gigabyte for unraid and the previous mobo that I had in my unraid rig had this feature enabled by default.

When you have over 8TB worth of data as your primary source of backup and have spent countless hours collecting and copying everything you have to your server, you shouldn't take chances (well I don't anyways). Besides, I've read too many bad stories about this and spending $90 AUD on an Asus mobo to correct this makes me slept better knowing I won't run into this problem and have members of this forum say 'I told you so'.

I think this HPA thing is solved by getting the bios updated and disabling the HPA (bios backup) feature.  Maligning all Gigabyte boards really isn't fair.  I used a gigabyte board on my unRAID machine for a couple months and all I did was disable the feature.  In fact, it came with the feature disabled as I remember it.

I'm running this board right now and HPA was disabled by default.  HPA is definitely something to be aware of because HPA did steal a couple megs from two of my small drives back when I was on the MA790X-UD4P. That said, I'm currently drueling over the Asus M4A89GTD Pro.... 2 PCI-E 16x, 1 PCI-E 4x, 1 PCI-E 1x, and 2 PCI... If it can handle 3 SASLP-MV8's that is a 30 drive capacity without touching the PCI bus or a PCI-E 1x card.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-89G-PRO&title=Asus-M4A89GTD-PRO-Socket-AM3-AMD-890GX-SATA3-A-V-GbE-ATX-Motherboard

Archived