Need VM Settings Using UD SSD For Dummies ... me

I thought I was making progress on figuring this out.  I read every Wiki and forum post from members having problems similar to mine, and I have watched all videos I could find.  I had previously been able to create a VM with the image located on my SSD set up with Unassigned Devices.  I have even been able to install Linux and then JRiver.  As long as unRAID was running, the VM did as well.  But I have never been able to shutdown/restart unRAID and have the VM restart.  I can even "shutdown" Linux and reboot it as long as unRAID has remained up.  Restarting unRAID, there is no VM.  The VM manager still says yes and the VM tab is still there, but it is blank. 

To begin again, I need to wipe the SSD and run through the whole process again.  So that is question #1, what setting do I have wrong that is causing my VM to not be persistent?

Question #2 ... I have lost ground.  Somehow I have gotten (more) confused about settings where VMs are stored when unRAID is down and settings telling unRAID where I want my VM (on my SSD), and now I can't even create a VM.  I step through the VM Manager page and a VM tab appears, but it is blank.

Jeff

Thanks.  Any tips on what folders to specify for libvert image on VM Manager page when enabling VM's? There are some settings present on the latest unRAID version that are not mentioned in the manuals or tutorial videos.

jeff

Edited by pepar

To answer your questions in reverse order:

The videos I recommend are from Spaceinvader One on Youtube. They are very recent and he uses the newest version of unRAID. I have found them to be by far the clearest reference for foundational unRAID knowledge.

Do you have advanced view toggled? That will display options that will not be visible in videos using the basic view.

Spaceinvader one covers libvirt here, in the replace cache video, but I've linked to the section where he begins the relevant topic. He has Krusader already installed at the point I link, but if you need help with it, there is another video in his channel dedicated solely to Krusader.

Coincidentally I was able to replicate your issue. When I turned off VM Manager, then turned it back on, my VM's were no longer visible. I followed up with a backup (Settings>Community Applications>Backup) which toggles VM Manager off then on itself. That made my VM's visible again in the VM tab. I don't currently have answers why, but I plan on taking a look before it causes real grief.

• Upvote 1

In my creating, bollocksing, deleting and re-creating VMs, is it possible I have deleted some important file from unRAID?  Is libvert.img created when I enable VM's or is it copied from somewhere, i.e. the libvert image storage location?  No matter what I do I cannot get the VM page to show the templates.

Alrighty, I went to enable Docker and got (the default) path does not exist for /mnt/user/system/docker/docker.img and appdata.  Might whatever is wrong aslo be causing my missing VM tab content?

edit; intially looked at setting up Dockers and got path does not exit.  I pressed ahead anyway and found that unRAID created docker folder and docker.img.  It does not do that with libvert.img.  When I shutdown I notice a text line that slips by that says libvert not running.

Edited by pepar