Moving to new case, does drive order matter?

I have a new case arriving some time today. Once it's assembled, I'd like to move everything over to it, but I'm worried about getting the hard drives mixed up. It's a much larger case and the layout will be completely different. I am currently running unRAID 6.3.5 and using dual parity. I seem to remember hearing that drive order mattered when dual-parity was added.

My drives are currently mixed between onboard SATA and a single LSI Logic SAS 9207-8i. Two of the 4 TB drives were removed to make room for 10 TB drives. I plan to split all the drives between two of those SAS cards in the new case, so most of them won't ever be plugged into the same ports that they are now.

Do I just need to keep a screenshot of the "Main" tab and make sure the serials match up with the drive numbers after the move or is there more to it?

Thanks!

unRAID keeps track via serial numbers, however that being said, I always advise people to take as screen shot of the main page in unRAID showing all their drives, serial numbers and specifically which drive the parity drive(s) are so you have a reference after. The only important thing is that the parity drive(s) are the same.

7 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

unRAID keeps track via serial numbers, however that being said, I always advise people to take as screen shot of the main page in unRAID showing all their drives, serial numbers and specifically which drive the parity drive(s) are so you have a reference after. The only important thing is that the parity drive(s) are the same.

Perfect, thanks!

2 hours ago, ashman70 said:

If you have one parity, the order of the other assigned drives is not important.

But if you have dual parity, the order of all of the drives is important.

If you hare planning to just move the existing unRAID USB stick over, it will assign the disks to the correct slots automatically. unRAID will have no idea that you moved everything to a new case. It will just match each disk to its assigned drive slot. But if it always a good idea to have a screenshot of the GUI so that you can manually reconfigure the array should the usb disk ever fail.

1 minute ago, SSD said:

If you have one parity, the order of the other assigned drives is not important.

But if you have dual parity, the order of all of the drives is important.

If you hare planning to just move the existing unRAID USB stick over, it will assign the disks to the correct slots automatically. unRAID will have no idea that you moved everything to a new case. It will just match each disk to its assigned drive slot. But if it always a good idea to have a screenshot of the GUI so that you can manually reconfigure the array should the usb disk ever fail.

I just took a screenshot to make sure I have a recent one, since I just swapped out drives. I will be using the same USB stick so I'm glad to hear that everything should carry over just based on the serial numbers.

It sounds like in a worst case scenario situation I'd just have to rebuild the second parity drive if things were out of order. Not something I want to have to do, but at least it's nothing major.

Just now, gilahacker said:

I just took a screenshot to make sure I have a recent one, since I just swapped out drives. I will be using the same USB stick so I'm glad to hear that everything should carry over just based on the serial numbers.

It sounds like in a worst case scenario situation I'd just have to rebuild the second parity drive if things were out of order. Not something I want to have to do, but at least it's nothing major.

To unRAID, every boot is like a fresh install. It is reinstalling a fresh copy of the OS onto a ramdisk.

If you are using the same USB stick, it will contain all of the config files and unRAID will install just fine - even if a totally different motherboard, CPU, and controller configuration. I've done it half a dozen times and never had a problem. But always good to be prepared for a problem!

• Like 1