We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

About to sell my server, any advice?

Hi, I'm about to move to another country, and decided to sell my server, for the hard drives would probably all die if I took them with me.

I bought a 2TB external drive to copy over all my data from my server hard drives. Yes, I know it's risky and ballsy, with only one drive holding my entire archive of data, but remember that I also have backup plans in option, one of which is Backblaze b2. (That part is already done.)

How should I go about copying all the data from the server to the hard drive? I'm assuming the Unassigned Devices plugin would help me out here. Can I also copy the appdata folder as well? My plan is to buy a new server once I'm settled at my new home. What should I take to replicate my UnRAID setup?

I've also copied all the flash drive data to another flash drive (in case it dies), so I can plug it into the new machine and get going.

Finally, is there a built in feature in UnRAID to delete everything off the drives, and zero them out? Or is DBAN the way to go?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, tdallen said:

Hi

Yep, Unassigned Devices or copy over the network.  You should be able to copy appdata but stop Docker first.  The preclear script should take care of your drives - run with the array stopped as a last step before disassembly.  

Good luck with your move!

Hi, I just mounted the disk using Unassigned Devices. Am I supposed to copy the file using terminal/screen session? There's 1TB worth of files and I'm not relying on a janky SSH session to make the transfer. Is there a GUI option in UnRAID or will I have to use a screen session?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Used "rsync -av * /mnt/disks/DISKNAME/" and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

Archived