Going to start building server today and few questions

rmilyard

Here is what have:

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SAT-F-O

CPU: Xeon E3-1755v6

Memory: DDR4 (2) 16gb ECC UDIMM @ 2400mhz

NMVe: Samsung 860 EVO 500gb

SSDs: (2) Samsung 860 EVO 500gb 2.5"

Drives: (12) 3tb hard drives and (4) 2tb Hard drives (will slowing replacement them as space is needed)

Server is mainly for Plex and all the media dockers for getting the media.  All the Media will also be stored here.  I might run a VM or 2 at some point but would be mostly to try something out not keep it there all the time.  Might thoughts are use (2) 3tb drives for parity and the rest to the spinners for the array.  Not sure how should use the NVMe and SSDs.  I was thinking the SSDs should be a striped cache and the NMVe for dockers etc?  Then use CA to backup the appdata?

Please let me know how you think would be best to setup would be?  Going to start working on this today.

Also the motherboard has (2) 1gb NICs and I have a Dual port 10gb GBe I have been using.  I have been using a FreeNAS server 10gb to switch.  Rest of my network is only 1gb.  Should I use this unRAID the same?  10gb to switch and use other 10gb for dockers?  Never setup this way before so not sure if supported etc.

There are a lot of options available to you.

One would be to pass through the NVMe to a Windows VM to use as boot disk, and assemble the 2 SSDs.into a cache pool for Plex / Dockers (RAID0 or RAID1).

You could use the NVMe as UD for VM image and Plex / Dockers, and set up the other 2 Sata into a RAID1 configuration as cache, and use for high speed protected storage.

I use a single NVMe as cache to host VM image and all Dockers. I have another that holds a bunch of VMware VMs used with Windows that I mount as a UD.

Archived