backup to self and remotely

I'm thinking of setting up an unraid NAS using a refurb workstation.

What I want to know is 

1) is it possible to to have "something" running on the unRaid server which creates an incremental backup every night so that I can restore files to a given point in time. In the first instance I would just like to make this to another drive in the same machine until I have enough to build a second machine.

2) When I build my second machine this will be on it's own network connection firewalled from everything. It will have one route so it can see my main unRaid server but nothing can see it. As such it can copy files from server 1 to itself and create the incremental backup on its drive.

PersonalData.jpg.92847e252fe8d1b9ab973e73ebd3621a.jpg

7 hours ago, daninmanchester said:

1) is it possible to to have "something" running on the unRaid server which creates an incremental backup every night so that I can restore files to a given point in time. In the first instance I would just like to make this to another drive in the same machine until I have enough to build a second machine.

You can use snapshots together with rsync, that's what I do on my backup servers, first snapshot all the shares, then run rsync, this way I can go back to a modified or deleted file if needed, you'll need to use btrfs on the backup disk/server.