[SOLVED] Problem with writing to array - v 6.2.1

I've recently installed a new drive, precleared it, and copied across the contents of an existing drive (for later removal, as I have no free bays). Then I've started putting new files onto the new drive. Everything worked fine for about 500Gb, but then the server locked up (the transfer stopped, a stream stopped playing, and the web GUI became unresponsive. I could still get in via the console, and I was able to reboot the server.

When it came back up, starting the array took far longer than usual - a couple of mins to mount the disks, then it paused on 'starting services' for several minutes (although the drives/shares were accessible at this point), before finally presenting the normal 'main' page in the GUI. Streaming was again working fine, but when I tried to copy a single file to the new drive, it worked for about 700Mb, then failed. The GUI was still working, so I tried to stop the array, but it hung on 'syncing filesystems'. I could still access the server via the console. I pulled off diagnostics, that I've attached below. This is actually the second set, as I'd also accessed it when I'd noticed how long it was taking to start up the array. After some time I tried the powerdown command from the console, which appeared to work, but the server didn't actually turn off at all and eventually I had to hard-reset it.

On restarting, I had the same very slow start for the array, but it's up now, and seems to be working fine for streaming; I haven't tried writing anything substantial yet (I did write a very small file and that worked fine). I couldn't see anything obvious in the syslog, except that the ReiserFS disks (I have a mix of those + xfs) were all 'replaying transactions', which would appear to be the cause of the slow disk mounting, but I couldn't see why that might be happening or anything much else (at one point there's a BTRFS warning about wrong free space on device loop0, and rebuilding free space cache, but I don't know what that means).

Can any wiser minds shed any light?

Edit - rebooting the server since and start times were normal, so it looks like that was a consequence (perhaps) of not shutting down properly. I will try writing data tomorrow...

Edit - all seems ok now, so hopefully just some random glitch (and a consequent improper shutdown)

Thanks,

tower-diagnostics-20180527-1450.zip

Edited by Shamutanti
more information available