Not enough room on flash drive to upgrade

Hello,

I am an long time user of Unraid but a real novice.  I'm currently on 6.3.5 which has been very stable.  See that an upgrade is available and in plugins went to upgrade and get the following message.

boot device shows 113500 free but upgrade needs 166192

As a long time user the flash drive is old and small (500mb).  Is there a workaround for this or a way to upgrade my flash drive without paying for a new license?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, mymy said:

Hello,

I am an long time user of Unraid but a real novice.  I'm currently on 6.3.5 which has been very stable.  See that an upgrade is available and in plugins went to upgrade and get the following message.

boot device shows 113500 free but upgrade needs 166192

As a long time user the flash drive is old and small (500mb).  Is there a workaround for this or a way to upgrade my flash drive without paying for a new license?

Thanks in advance.

You can definitely upgrade your flash drive. Look in the Wiki for more precise instructions. But generally you prepare a new flash like you were a new user, copy the "config" folder from the existing flash to the new flash, and then boot with the new flash. UnRAID will detect that you have an invalid keyfile, and offer the option to transfer your license to the new USB.

Not sure if you have any files on the existing USB that you could delete. I sometimes store syslog copies, preclear reports, and an occasional download file. If there are files you can delete, you might be able to continue to use the 500G flash for a while longer. But I'd suggest an upgrade to at least 2G. 4G, 8G and 16G drives are more commonly available and still quite inexpensive. Use a decent brand USB2 drive.

1 hour ago, mymy said:

upgrade my flash drive without paying for a new license?

Sure, limetech allows you to migrate to a new flash drive for whatever reason once a year. Simply copy everything on the old flash to the new one, run the "make bootable" procedure, and fire up the new flash. Once loaded, go to tools, registration and follow the prompts to register your new flash and blacklist the old one.