CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - Testing Shutdown Procedure In unRAID - Works

_0m0t3ur

I just connected to my unRAID server the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS, which is an AVR sine wave unit.  There are many posts among various threads in the forum of users reporting that this unit works with unRAID.  Based on those posts and a features to price comparison, I decided to give this a try.

One of the things that comes up with UPS devices is testing the shutdown procedure.  Some advocate pulling the plug.  After looking at the function set-up guide for this unit, I saw a battery self-test option.  This seemed like a way to test the shutdown of the server.

How to test?

unRAID Settings

1.  Navigated to Settings - UPS Settings in unRAID.

2.  "Battery Level To Initiate Shutdown" set to 80%

Note:  This worked because the battery power was nearly 100%.  Basically, this setting needs to be below the battery charge level.

2.  Applied the settings.

Test

1.  Push and hold for 3 seconds, the "control button" which looks like hand with a pointed index finger.

2.  The battery test momentarily lowers the battery charge reading to below the threshold set in unRAID and causes a graceful shutdown.

Here's the link to the function set-up guide:

https://dl4jz3rbrsfum.cloudfront.net/documents/CyberPower_FG_CP1500PFCLCD.pdf

50 minutes ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS, which is an AVR sine wave unit.  There are many posts among various threads in the forum of users reporting that this unit works with unRAID

I have one. It works fine... just don't activate the option to turn off the UPS after shutdown.

52 minutes ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

Some advocate pulling the plug.

Don't do that, unless you totally isolate the equipment you are testing. Pulling the plug removes the ground reference from the UPS, which is actively generating power. That could possibly send current through other connected equipment, like network or monitor cables. Much better to switch the supply circuit to the UPS while keeping it grounded, by temporarily using a switched multi-tap outlet or even switching off the breaker for that circuit leg.

Your test method is much safer than pulling the plug, but doesn't totally replicate a power failure.

7 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I have one. It works fine... just don't activate the option to turn off the UPS after shutdown.

Don't do that, unless you totally isolate the equipment you are testing. Pulling the plug removes the ground reference from the UPS, which is actively generating power. That could possibly send current through other connected equipment, like network or monitor cables. Much better to switch the supply circuit to the UPS while keeping it grounded, by temporarily using a switched multi-tap outlet or even switching off the breaker for that circuit leg.

Your test method is much safer than pulling the plug, but doesn't totally replicate a power failure.

Yeah, I found at least one lengthy post about not activating the option to turn off a CyberPower UPS.  And pulling the plug seemed too sketchy to me.  I am glad that my server powered off on test.  One option would be to temporarily plug the UPS into a power strip with an on/off switch.  Then using the switch to turn off the power to the strip, putting the UPS into battery mode.

Archived