(SOLVED) Clearing Synology Drive

fallenhd

Hi Guys,

So I have a drive that was previously in my Synology Nas that I want to add to my array. However I keep getting problems 

clearing the drive. When I simply add it to the array to let Unraid clear it, it reached bout 48% then failed citing a read error I believe.

Tried to preclear it using the preclear plugin and It it failed during the preread operation. I'm guessing it could have some to do with the linux file 

format - synology. As far as I am aware, the drive is fine. It passed the smart status on both unraid and synology and I transferred about 3.8 TB of data off it to the array (MC command)

just yesterday. 

Is there any way to rectify this or can the driver simply be formatted without going through the clear process. Assistance will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Yes, you want to replace the drive:

# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       50%      9721         3933917032

The above is the really bad one.

But you also have this one:

197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--CK   200   200   000    -    2

There are 2 bad sectors pending reallocation.

According to the error log there were 5 UNCorrectable read errors at LBA:

3197675968 (IDNF, may show up during write test)

3591151168 (IDNF, may show up during write test)

3933917032 (UNC, reason for abort)

6572318816 (UNC, not known if still persistent at the moment)

You need to force the drive to reallocate them.

Follow this instruction to do so.

That drive has no reallocated sectors at the moment. The counter should increase once you execute that procedure.

You can force the write to both UNC LBA listed and run either the long SMART test or the preclear again.

RMA ing the drive is no option, as it is out of warranty.

1 hour ago, fallenhd said:

Does the drive need to be replaced?

It's up to you - many here will say "yes".

Once all sectors are reallocated and the preclear doesn't bring up more pending I would consider it OK.

The issue is, you will loose single fault tolerance of your array, if this drive is faulty AND another drive fails additionally.

1 hour ago, pwm said:

Yes, you want to replace the drive:

# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       50%      9721         3933917032

The above is the really bad one.

But you also have this one:

197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--CK   200   200   000    -    2

1 hour ago, Fireball3 said:

There are 2 bad sectors pending reallocation.

According to the error log there were 5 UNCorrectable read errors at LBA:

3197675968 (IDNF, may show up during write test)

3591151168 (IDNF, may show up during write test)

3933917032 (UNC, reason for abort)

6572318816 (UNC, not known if still persistent at the moment)

You need to force the drive to reallocate them.

Follow this instruction to do so.

That drive has no reallocated sectors at the moment. The counter should increase once you execute that procedure.

You can force the write to both UNC LBA listed and run either the long SMART test or the preclear again.

RMA ing the drive is no option, as it is out of warranty.

It's up to you - many here will say "yes".

Once all sectors are reallocated and the preclear doesn't bring up more pending I would consider it OK.

The issue is, you will loose single fault tolerance of your array, if this drive is faulty AND another drive fails additionally.

Thanks for the feedback guys, will take it into consideration. Guess I was really fortunate that I transferred the data when I did. 

Archived