Thinking about Unraid need some info

I am trying to pick the best system I am torn between Qnap and Unraid. I was all set on Qnap but then I started reading more about Unraid. I have a desktop computer with many external hard drives attached to it. This is the only computer that is wired to the router. I have 2 laptops that are in different rooms that are wireless.  I am thinking about getting powerline as I cannot run cable to them and there are no ethernet ports in the rest of the house. The one desktop I cannot use all the time based upon location. I am looking for something where I can have all my files in one place instead of spread over many different external hard drives and so I can go through the files and pick the best copy of videos and get rid of the others. Now to do that I have to have my desktop turned on and share the hard drives and was using home groups. My desktop is a windows 7 and the laptops are Windows10. I am also interested in using at least Windows vm on the machine. I would like to at times just set the system to do things such as ccextractor or videoredo and let it do its thing and not have to have my desktop on. When I try to use Videoredo on the laptop because distance to the router it takes forever. II also use Plex and record all the time. Maybe use this for gaming to. I really like the idea of Unraid because easier to expand, all drives do not have to be the same size, and can upgrade the processor and motherboard if need be. I would have to buy a new system because my desktop can only hold 2 hard drives. Have the problems with Ryzen video passthrough been fixed? I would be looking at possibility of 10gbe.  Any information would be very much appreciated. Thank you.