Windows 10 VM "Critical Service Failed"

Hello, all.

I'm trying to get a Win10 VM up and running while following Gridrunner's excellent videos.  I'm on Unraid 6.5.3 Pro.

What is happening is that I get the VM up, install some software, change some settings (per the videos), and after a certain point, the VM boots to a "Critical Service Failed" message.  Then all I can do is to go through the repair options.  I suspect something happened to the virtio drivers, but I'm not sure.

I go to the recovery boot and then command prompt.  I try to list the disks using diskpart, but there's nothing there it says.

Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, 83749020 said:

What is happening is that I get the VM up, install some software, change some settings (per the videos), and after a certain point, the VM boots to a "Critical Service Failed" message.  Then all I can do is to go through the repair options.  I suspect something happened to the virtio drivers, but I'm not sure.

If this is a brand new VM, with nothing (not much) invested, I'm tempted to say, "just start over," as there is little diagnostic information for pointers on what to try.  Since you are getting to the automatic recovery part Windows, I would try a System Restore (just to see if it has a restore point, if so - try it).

You mentioned the drive doesn't show up in diskpart; are you passing a HD through to your VM, or is it an image file?  

Hi, Jcloud.  Thanks for the response.

I messed with it for a while and eventually started over.  I'm wary since this is the third time I've started over without knowing what really happened.  I tried to do a system restore, but it didn't even see the ? drive where windows was installed.  It just got stuck in a boot loop where it kept coming up with a "Critical Service Failed" message.

What I found was that the driver for the VirtIO disk wasn't loaded.  From the "advanced options" command prompt, I went to the setup CD and ran setup.  I went to the point where it asks you to install on a disk, and I loaded the driver from there.  Then, when the disk showed up, I just closed the install tool and went back to the command prompt.

From that point, I had access to the ? drive.  I googled around and found that a lot of times, it is the driver signing feature that needs to be turned off.  I couldn't use bcdedit since it couldn't load the boot store for some reason.  That's the point where I just started over.

I'm trying to get a Windows 10 VM running with passed through Nvidia 750Ti and a USB mouse/keyboard.  I am using a vdisk, not an HD.

32 minutes ago, 83749020 said:

I'm wary since this is the third time I've started over without knowing what really happened. 

Same error or different kinds of errors each time, if it's different I'd call that progresss/learning; if it's the same error then something is up. 

34 minutes ago, 83749020 said:

What I found was that the driver for the VirtIO disk wasn't loaded.  From the "advanced options" command prompt, I went to the setup CD and ran setup.  I went to the point where it asks you to install on a disk, and I loaded the driver from there.  Then, when the disk showed up, I just closed the install tool and went back to the command prompt.

That makes a lot of sense, actually, the WindowsPE  environment (automatic repair feature) I've seen come up missing with drivers. 

38 minutes ago, 83749020 said:

I'm trying to get a Windows 10 VM running with passed through Nvidia 750Ti

Do you know if that card has its own bios/firmware? If it does, do you have video-bios dumped, and the file added to your VM's configuration?

Same error each time...  I'm posting this from the VM in question, but I haven't rebooted it yet.  I am afraid when I do, then it won't come back up.  However, I'm about done installing Windows Updates so I'll have to reboot soon.

I saw Gridrunner's video mention getting a Bios file and associating it with the VM.  Is that mandatory?  I haven't done it yet with this VM.  Would that keep it from booting again after installing the drivers?

Archived