We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

5 Port Trendnet Gigabit Switch - $17.99

Rajahal

Hi -

I have a question regarding placing this switch in a network. If this is a wrong thread/section to ask this question please forgive me. But here it goes, I already have a 1/100 wireless router in place. Currently my Mac Mini and unRAID server is connected to it to access the internet.

I know, from reading the forum, that the Mac Mini's read and write to unRAID will be much faster if I have a gigabit network in place. So, my question is if I buy this switch and connect my Mac Mini and unRAID to it will it make my connection from Mac Mini to the unRAID server a gigabit speed?

Thanks,

Sagun

Yes, if and only if you also use Cat5e or better network cables (Cat5 are not fast enough), AND if both your unRAID server and Mac Mini have Gigabit LAN ports.

You can still use your router for wifi and internet if you wish.  So your network would look something like this:

Switch------router (for wifi and internet only)

|

----------unRAID

|

----------Mac Mini

With this configuration both your Mac Mini and your unRAID server would still have internet access.  Any transfers/streaming between the Mac Mini and unRAID would be much faster as it wouldn't need to use the router at all (again, assuming that you have all the other appropriate hardware).

Archived