Errors on disk 3 no matter what different new disks I try in that position

audioguy61

Hey All,

I've been trying to fix this error that keeps happening even when I try to rebuild the array even with multiple different new disks, I finally just backed up and returned the system to a new config but whatever disk I put in the #3 position returns errors when the parity rebuilds. SMART reports seem to show no issues with the drives I try to use and using whatever manufacturers diagnostic program to check the drive doesn't show any problem with them. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I tried to reformat the drive but it causes the system to hang while the parity is rebuilding, even without a readable file system the main screen shows over 13 million errors on disk 3 with only 2.8% of the parity rebuilt. It has gone about 20 days into rebuilding parity and then hung on an unrecoverable error, this was when I still had data on the drives.

unraid-diagnostics-20180721-1001.zip

unraid-smart-20180721-1006.zip

Solved: Replaced the cable and shifted all the SATA cables over one position skipping the port that was on the drive having problems and everything seem to be working properly now. Formatting completed quickly and parity rebuild is happening at roughly 20 times the speed it was at before, thank you very much!

Happy to help!

If you have a spare drive, you may consider plugging it into that one port with a different cable. Try mounting the drive with Unassigned Drives to see if you can get access to it. It may have simply been that the cable was bad, not the SATA port.

28 minutes ago, FreeMan said:

Happy to help!

If you have a spare drive, you may consider plugging it into that one port with a different cable. Try mounting the drive with Unassigned Drives to see if you can get access to it. It may have simply been that the cable was bad, not the SATA port.

Yes, that is my plan, I'm going to let the parity rebuild finish and get my data transferred back but I'm hoping it was just the cable as I have already had the Mobo replaced under warranty and that warranty is up.

Archived