SATA II Drives & UDMA Mode 6

mifronte

I just built a machine from old parts and practicing to build my Unraid server when the Norco 4224 is available.

I am using a cheap PCI-X Sil3124 SATA II 4-Port controller in a PCI 2.2 64-bit 66 MHz slot with Windows XP.  The card supports PCI 32-bit at 66 MHz or PCI-X at 133 MHz.  All my drives are showing up as UMDA mode 6.

Is this correct?  I believe UDMA Mode 6 is only 133 MB/s, not nearly the 3 Gbps ov SATA II.  Does this means the controller card is only running at 32-bit 33 MHz eventhough the slot is set to 66 MHz?  What should the transfer mode be in Windows for SATA II drives?

Thanks.

I just built a machine from old parts and practicing to build my Unraid server when the Norco 4224 is available.

I am using a cheap PCI-X Sil3124 SATA II 4-Port controller in a PCI 2.2 64-bit 66 MHz slot with Windows XP.  The card supports PCI 32-bit at 66 MHz or PCI-X at 133 MHz.  All my drives are showing up as UMDA mode 6.

Is this correct?  I believe UDMA Mode 6 is only 133 MB/s, not nearly the 3 Gbps ov SATA II.  Does this means the controller card is only running at 32-bit 33 MHz eventhough the slot is set to 66 MHz?  What should the transfer mode be in Windows for SATA II drives?

Thanks.

It really does not matter since the disk drive itself is only capable of 80 to 100MB/s. 

It really does not matter since the disk drive itself is only capable of 80 to 100MB/s. 

Hmm.. this fact I did not realized.  I had always assumed when people posted their drive throughput in the range of 80-100 MB/s, it was because of the network limitation.  Is this the mechanic limitations of the drives?

One more day until the official shipping of the Norco 4224.  Of course I will not be the first beta users.  I will wait until the dust has cleared and the prices are discounted.