LSI 9207-8i on PCIe2 not recognized & IOMMU Groups

ksignorini

I've removed my old PEXESAT322Is (three of them) and have replaced them with an Avago LSI 9207-8i. The LSI recognizes my drives and seems super fast. Originally, I installed it in my spare PCIe 3.0 slot. Unfortunately, I also pass a GPU through to VMs and it appears that both the LSI and GPU end up in the same IOMMU group. The VMs won't start.

I moved the LSI to my one PCIe 2.0 slot (16x) hoping its on another group. Unfortunately, the computer itself won't recognize the LSI card when its plugged into this slot! The LSI BIOS doesn't load and the drives aren't recognized by unRAID (obviously).

I assume that even though it's a PCIe 3.0 card, it should work in 2.0 (the manual doesn't indicate anything different--just says it must be at least 8x lanes).

Any ideas? I'm really stuck.

(Motherboard is MSI Z77A-G45.)

I've done a lot of reading about the ACS Override in the last couple days. The biggest issue is with DMA across devices in the same group--since ACS keeps them from DMAing each other normally. This looks like it's probably only a problem with say, two vid cards in SLI/Crossfire mode, or maybe some similar devices with bad firmware.

Even jonp says he uses his GPU and LSI card in this manner (ACS Override on) based on the post above.

I'm willing to give it a shot.