Blacklisting EDAC (6.5.3)

Chandler

Over the past few months I have been dealing with EDAC memory errors filling my log and eventually slowing my server to a point where it has to be restarted. It got to a point where I simply set up a script to reboot the server daily and that was enough to keep the problem at bay. Although now I am looking for a more permanent solution. 

I think I have narrowed the errors down to becoming a heat issue as it usually occurs on the warmer days since the server can go usually to around a week before it experiences the errors. On a very hot day the errors can come up within hours of the server being up. 

I have 12 8GB sticks and I've tried running memtest, reseating them, moving them around, using less, and replacing ones that the IPMI/logs say are throwing the errors but can't seem to solve the issue. While doing some more research, I came across this reddit thread that shows the same issues I am having. It talks about Linux having a bug with EDAC modules and even mentions thermal sensor check as a cause of the issue. 

So this has me wondering if blacklisting this module will solve my problem or if this is even ok to do in Unraid. But while reading through the steps in the reddit thread I notice there is no edac.conf file in the /etc/modprobe.d folder. This leads to my next question of is this even possible in Unraid and should I be doing this? 

Any assistance or input is greatly appreciated, thanks! 

Archived