After BIOS upgrade, 6.5.3 won't boot

JimB66

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm currently running 6.5.3 on an Asrock E3C226D2I motherboard - running just fine for the last 4 years. Prior to going to 6.6.0 I wanted to update the BIOS to address the Spectre and Meltdown issues (BIOS was available and I finally had some time). I updated the BMC first, and unRAID still booted. Then updated the BIOS and I can no longer boot unRaid. It gets past the BIOS setup screen but then there's just a blinking cursor, as if it can't find the boot drive.

I've tried several different USB ports - front and back. I've made the changes to BIOS and EFI folder naming as mentioned here:

All to no avail. And apparently once upgraded to BIOS 3.50 I can't revert back to the earlier 2.00 version, according to the Asrock website. That was my next step.

I am in contact with Asrock customer service but wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas.

Thanks,

Jim

Update: Nothing I did seemed to work, including trying to boot to DOS on a USB drive, so Asrock is sending me a BIOS chip pre-programmed with the older 2.00 BIOS. Hopefully that should get me back up and running.

Edited by JimB66
Updated info
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update: ASRock sent me both the older 2.00 BIOS chip plus a new 3.50 one. Both chips work - unRAID booted with both. So now I have the current BIOS and the home NAS is back up and running.

Huge thanks to ASRock customer service. They worked with me via email and phone calls over several days and eventually got me back up and running.