unRAID without internet ?

HI,

I am a photographer / videographer and I would like to centralize all my hard drives on the same NAS server.

However, my office has limited access to the internet (can not permanently wired and the wifi only works very rarely) which is not a problem for me because I have a laptop with a 3g key.

I would like to know if it is possible to run an unRAID server without internet connection permanently (only at restart for example) or with a Wi-Fi card.

Moreover, is it possible to connect it with my computer locally ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

(I'm planning on a motherboard Asus P10S-I + Intel Xeon E3-1220 v6 + Kingston Memory DDR4 16GB 2400MHz ECC-Reg + 1x WD 3D Blue NAND + 6x WD Red 4TB)

41 minutes ago, Jonathan-pas said:

I would like to know if it is possible to run an unRAID server without internet connection permanently (only at restart for example) or with a Wi-Fi card.

Moreover, is it possible to connect it with my computer locally ?

During the trial period (30 days) an Internet connection is required on the unRAID server to validate the trial license.  When running a licensed copy of unRAID, no internet connection is required for the functionality of unRAID itself.  Of course, there are dockers, plugins, etc. that depend upon an Internet connection for their functionality and for updates, but, perhaps that is not an issue for you.  With no Internet connection on the server itself, updating the OS would have to be done manually.

Of course you can run an unRAID server in a local network with no Internet and attach to it from wired or wireless clients through your local router/switches/access points.  UnRAID needs a wired Ethernet connection to your local network infrastructure.  UnRAID does not support WiFi cards.

If you want to just direct connect your laptop to your unRAID server via an Ethernet cable, you can do that by giving them both static IP addresses in the same subnet.