GAMING RIG WITH UNRAID (TWO PLAYERS > ONE PC)

ganapati

Hey guys,
I want to build gaming RIG for two PLAYERS > ONE PC.

IM NOT EXPERIENCED IN UNRAID AT ALL FOR A MOMENT. ANYWAYS need advices on this, will this work? which is better ? do i missed something (wifi seperate or seperate lan cards?.... etc)

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------

RIG NR.1 (INTEL)

One (1x) CPU - Intel Core i7-7800X, Hexa Core, 3.50GHz, 8.25MB, LGA2066, 14nm, 140W BX80673I77800X - 355EUR
One (1x) Motherboard (4 PCI-E slots) AUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING, LGA2066, X299, DDR4, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 - 310EUR

TWO (2x) GPU - GV-N2070GAMING OC-8GC - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 OC 8G, RGB, 8GB GDDR6 528x2 = 1050EUR
TWO (2x) SSD - WDS100T2B0A WD Blue SSD 2.5'' 1TB SATA/600, 560/530 MB/s, 7mm, 3D NAND - 300EUR
TWO (2x) RAM in 2x slots of 4 slots - Corsair Vengeance RGB Series 2x 16GB, DDR4 2666 MHz CL16 300EUR
TWO (2x) Monitors - AOC AGON AG352UCG6 35'' Curved MVA 3440x1440 120HZ g-snyc
TWO (2x) Keyboards USB
TWO (2x) MOUSE USB
TWO (2x) windows 10 copies

for UnRAID- One (1x) GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GT 210, 1GB DDR3 (64 Bit), HDMI, LP, DVI, D-SUB, BOX - 30EUR
for UnRAID- One (1x) Any 64GB SSD - 25EUR
for UnRAID- One (1x) Patriot Signature DDR4 8GB 2400MHz CL17 DIMM - 50EUR

for UnRAID- 1 mouse + 1 keyboard

<<<<<<<<< OR >>>>>>>>>>>

RIG NR.2 (AMD

One (1x) CPU - YD270XBGAFBOX - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Octo Core, 3.70GHz, 20MB, AM4, 105W, 12nm, BOX - 300EUR
One (1x) Motherboard - ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (wi-fi) ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO , AM4, X470, USB3.1, DUAL M.2, MB - 240EUR

+ EVERYTHING SAME AS IN INTEL RIG

2 hours ago, ganapati said:

will this work? which is better ?

Valid and important questions, but very difficult to answer directly -- unless someone else has experience with the same motherboard setup you're planning to use.  Out of curiosity have you tried to search the forums for the two mainboards, to see if anyone has chimed in with them?  (I haven't presently, so I don't know what's out there, but this is one of my first-steps)

I noticed you have a GPU, kb, mouse for Unraid - have you considered running Unraid headless? Just a thought. 

Also, for technical reasons, you'll want player1 and player2's keyboard and mice to be different models and/or products -- otherwise software gets confused between the devices (there are work-arounds to this such as passing a USB controller to VM). This last one is more of an FYI. 

10 hours ago, Jcloud said:

Valid and important questions, but very difficult to answer directly -- unless someone else has experience with the same motherboard setup you're planning to use.  Out of curiosity have you tried to search the forums for the two mainboards, to see if anyone has chimed in with them?  (I haven't presently, so I don't know what's out there, but this is one of my first-steps)

I noticed you have a GPU, kb, mouse for Unraid - have you considered running Unraid headless? Just a thought. 

Also, for technical reasons, you'll want player1 and player2's keyboard and mice to be different models and/or products -- otherwise software gets confused between the devices (there are work-arounds to this such as passing a USB controller to VM). This last one is more of an FYI. 

Thank you Jcloud for the answer! 

I will make research on this,

As i understand motherboard is the thing which might not work out of the box? 

6 hours ago, ganapati said:

As i understand motherboard is the thing which might not work out of the box? 

Right, with VMs there are a couple of hurtles to clear for it to be, a "good board,"

1.    Does it have a Marvell chipset for sata/wifi?  If so this will need to be disabled, as Marvell chips are notorious for causing problems. Therefore the chipset would either need to be disabled, to prevent errors, or move onto a different board choice.
  2.    What does it's IOMMU list look like?  Very important for running more than one VM, as this determines how flexible, or granular, you can get in provisioning hardware bits, and perhaps more important then my bullet-point-1.  You'd have to weigh the pro's and cons of the board -- is it worth it to you?
  3.    (I consider this one) What (how many cores / how much ram per vm) or how many simultaneous VMs want to run, and what is my budget?  This is more of a price-cost and resource consideration thought -- which you've already addressed. 

However, be vigilant, there are plenty of devices which may not work out of the box.  Based one your OP I think the motherboard will be your main hurdle. 

Good luck, I hope this information is helpful to you.

Archived