Migrating 2x Intel >> 1x Threadripper?

mweis

Well i am relatively new to unraid - but i really like it. Here my current setups:

unraid-srv:

• ASUS Prime Q270m-C
  • i7-7700 (non-K)
  • 1 x 16GB DDR4
  • 500w beQuiet
  • 1x 250GB Samsung NVME
  • 4 x 10TB WD RED

this machine runs actually a few dockers like plex, nextcloud, teamspeak. planned is also running pfsense and pihole (atm not cause of missing additional nics)

Gaming:

• ASUS ROG Maximus X Apex
  • i7-8700k
  • 2 x 8 GB DDR4
  • superflower 850w
  • 1 x 500GB NVME
  • MSI 1080ti
  • Creative Soundblaster Z

should i migrate the systems?

I am not a hardcore gamer, i ususally play some rounds of LoL on my 34" Gsync-monitor. The idea was - buying a threadripper with at least 12 cores and adding like 32 or 64 gigs of ram, putting the 1080ti in it and selling the rest of my intel systems and badaboom i am done? is this the way it could be? 

a few questions:

• i only connect to the kvm-machine via RDP with an additional windows machine like an intel nuc?
  • is there a better option instead of threadripper for running this machine 24/7 in terms of power consumption?
  • the machine should be silent cause it is housed in the living room. is threadripper coolable at a quiet level? should i go for a soc-xeon board e.g. from supermicro?

thanks for help 🙉