Restructuring my setups

Saldash

Hi all,

I'm aiming to rearrange some of my hardware resources and put them to different uses;

• My main PC I'll upgrade the RAM from 16GB to 32GB, add new storage drives, replace the failing drive etc.. and making it my new Unraid server (configured properly from the start this time!).
  • The current Unraid server (old desktop kit) will be retired / parted out to other minor projects.
  • Replacing my main PC with a low power small form factor machine.

To give you an idea of what I've got going now - this is my main PC:

image.png.5f7840790e69502e1dffbb7ca95959ad.png

And my current Unraid server:

image.png.41e0521c951d7f98e5810a8b74241190.png

I wasn't 100% sure if I should transfer the CPU out the current unraid server into what will be the new one, but checking User Benchmarks (https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4460-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K/2310vs619)

the 2500K creeps ahead with a plus on my slight overclock so I'm just going to leave the current motherboard and CPU in place I think and just double the RAM.

I'm really after someone to just sense check me to make sure I'm not missing something really basic or stupid, and if someone could also recommend a small machine for me to make my new daily driver.

I don't PC game anymore (if I do game it's pottering around on the xbox), but support for two HDMI 1920x1080 monitors is a minimum (I build web apps for a living).

Other than that, as long as it will run Visual Studio, SQL Server Management Studio and stream YouTube/Plex at full res I'm happy!

I don't mind paying a couple of hundred for something decent but budget will stretch.

Been looking at some Intel NUC's but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

I have a plethora of 2.5" SSD's I can use so storage space, OS (w10 Ent.) and accessories aren't issues.

I'll buy RAM as well if needed but again around the £300 mark is ideal for this one.

Thanks guys!

Archived