RAM Upgrade Nightmare

DaringOne

Once upon a LONG time ago, I purchased a nice tower, SuperMicro C2SEA motherboard, 2x1GB G Skill DDR3-1333 8-8-8-21 1.5v memory, and a pair of hard disks, and started my UNRAID array.  My first inkling of trouble was immediate, as the motherboard never would accept a 2nd stick of RAM no matter what I did.  I thought nothing of it, because hey, I wanted my array up, and I didn't need the extra memory anyhow.  So when I went to upgrade unRAID past the v6.1.8 I was running, and couldn't, it was clear I needed more memory.  So I grabbed up basically the same RAM described above, but in the 2x2GB configuration.  Installed it, and was greeted with continuous long beeps.  Great, I thought, why isn't this working.  The board literally has the specs of this RAM listed on the website.  So I think BIOS upgrade next, maybe this will resolve some dumb compatibility issue.  The beeping went away, but now no video on boot.  Reinstalled my old stick, back to good.  Anyone have any ideas on what the heck to do here, or did I just light ~$40 on fire for this RAM?  I'm pretty sure I'm beyond return ability at this point, since I didn't get around to installing this and trying to troubleshoot for a couple months :-/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, new RAM arrived, and just as when I bought the machine, if I put both sticks in, it won't boot.  Just kicks on for a couple seconds and turns itself off repeatedly.  Using one stick though, everything boots fine.  I'd love to have all 4GB of the memory I bought, but if I can't get that, I'll settle for the 2GB.  At least I can upgrade unRAID again!