Setting minimum free disk space and other housekeeping

Ok, I am sure I am just overlooking this setting, but I can't seem to find a place to set the minimum free space for a disk in my array. I can see when I am setting up shares I can set this, but is there not on overriding place to setup how much free space I want left on each disk at the disk level not the share level? 

Also, is there somewhere I can find a one stop shop for the recommended general housekeeping settings for a home server? What I mean is, a post where it has listed suggestions on how often to set parity checks, trimm, mover, and what notifications to set up for what scenarios? Kinda new to all of this, but loving unraid so far. 

Finally, I have a tiny little chromebook (11" i think) that I use most of the time. When I access my server, it the display does not fit to the dimensions of my screen forcing me to have to scroll right all the time to see things like how full a drive is, or get to the clickable folder icon for a share. The banner is fit to the screen, but the rest of it isnt. I have tried several settings, and they do not seem to do anything for this issue. This was not an issue I remember having before upgrading. Any suggestions?

Thanks

You can set the Minimum Free for cache in Global Share Settings. I can't think of any reason to have a Minimum Free for an array disk. Are you writing directly to disks, or are you writing to User Shares? The whole point of Minimum Free is to make Unraid choose a different disk when writing to user shares. If you write directly to a disk, Unraid doesn't have a choice to make.

No, it is writing to individual shares (media, pictures, isos, etc), but thought it would be nice to set a minimum for the disk so that i don't have to go into each individual share for the same setting if I want there to be the same amount left over for each. I have 10x 6tb HDD. I would like to leave 200GB free on each drive minimum, regardless of the share that is writing.

Many of us schedule a monthly noncorrecting parity check just to make sure everything is working as e

There is a plugin to schedule Trim on SSDs. You can't trim an SSD in the parity array, and in fact, you shouldn't put SSDs in the parity array.

You should configure Notifications to notify you immediately by email or other agent on any alert or warning. The other notifications are up to you.

2 minutes ago, jebusfreek666 said:

No, it is writing to individual shares (media, pictures, isos, etc), but thought it would be nice to set a minimum for the disk so that i don't have to go into each individual share for the same setting if I want there to be the same amount left over for each. I have 10x 6tb HDD. I would like to leave 200GB free on each drive minimum, regardless of the share that is writing.

Just set every user share to 200GB minimum free then. But that is no guarantee that it won't go over that. Split level takes precedence over Allocation Method and Minimum Free. And even if those aren't involved, Minimum Free only makes Unraid choose a different disk if a disk has less than the minimum. If you set it to 200G for example, and there is 201G free, Unraid can choose the disk since it has more than minimum, and it has no way to know how large a file will become when it chooses a disk for it. So if you write a 100G file then it could still go to that disk, and if you write a 202G file the write will fail when it runs out of space.

59 minutes ago, trurl said:

You can set the warning and critical thresholds for percent free on all disks, or on an individual disk. If it goes over that you will get a warning or alert.

But this does not prevent anything from being written to the disk correct? Is there anyway to make a disk read only after it reaches a certain capacity?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Many of us schedule a monthly noncorrecting parity check just to make sure everything is working as e

noncorrecting? Why is that preferred over a correcting? Just for the sake of speed, or does one cause more strain on the system? And if it is noncorrecting monthly, do you then only run a correcting one if there are errors?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

There is a plugin to schedule Trim on SSDs. You can't trim an SSD in the parity array, and in fact, you shouldn't put SSDs in the parity array.

I have seen the setting to schedule trim, didn't know it was from a plugin I have. Thought it was baked into the OS. But either way, you are saying you shouldn't use SSD as a data drive or a parity drive correct? That I know, but I am using dual SSD as cache. So these are fine to trim correct? And if so, how often does that run? Sorry if that's dumb, I don't really understand trim. But I saw in a video that it should be setup, and there was no other info on it. 

33 minutes ago, jebusfreek666 said:

But this does not prevent anything from being written to the disk correct? Is there anyway to make a disk read only after it reaches a certain capacity?

No. But what would you expect Unraid to do if you attempted to write to a read-only disk anyway?

35 minutes ago, jebusfreek666 said:

noncorrecting? Why is that preferred over a correcting? Just for the sake of speed, or does one cause more strain on the system? And if it is noncorrecting monthly, do you then only run a correcting one if there are errors?

noncorrecting because it gives you a chance to decide if there is some reason to suspect one of the data disks is the cause of the sync errors. If there are errors you have to correct them and check again to make sure there isn't some underlying problem.

39 minutes ago, jebusfreek666 said:

So these are fine to trim correct? And if so, how often does that run?

Yes. You schedule it as you see fit. I have it monthly, but if you frequently write a lot to cache it might make sense to do it more often.