Help with new server options

Sorry if this seams like a double post from the lounge area but I do need help with this and figured I might try this section as well.

I already have a good UNRAID server that I want to make just our NAS.

I have been looking at either building a Threadripper 1900x system or using something like a used R710, R720, R730 to handle all I want to get out of the new server. I know its a tall order to fill but need some help trying to figure out what the best hardware I need is.

So far this is my plan: Run a btrfs cache pool with 4x 2tb ssd's (4tb usable for high speed data access) a 1tb nvme ssd for my dockers and vms and a small storage for non-highspeed storage (2x 8tb drives one in parity and one for the data). All data on new server backed up to existing server via Rclone that way if the new one goes I have additional backups. I also have a 1050ti or Rx580 I can use for the vms. I am looking at either 32gb or 64gb for ram. I have all of the drives for the new system just don't know what way to go? 

I am looking at hardware for the following tasks:

1) Plex server (docker) for 2 -5 in home clients and for 5 out of home clients.

2) Handbrake (docker) for converting my video files to usable files for Davinci resolve,

3) a Linux vm for a small Ark game server for both me and my brother in-law.  

Team Red or Team Blue?

I figured I should ask the community to see what my options are since each side has its own challenges.

I need help deciding on what path I should take for the motherboard and chip(s)?

Edited by Travis McCann
need to clarify something

The VMs are what makes this interesting...you want to reserve cores for those, but running a 10 stream plex server can quickly much them even in a 1080p world.  So the first decision:

Plex in a docker with an iGPU for transcoding OR Plex in a VM with a P2000 for transcoding

That will really dictate where you go from here IMHO, if you need an iGPU for a plex docker, then team Blue is your only option.  If you want to do transcoding in a VM then you can use either, but team Red would get more bang for the buck (IMHO).

You could go with a really beefy i7 or i9 with an iGPU, but Intel is really managing what processors have gpus tightly...so it is a very limited set.  

If you aren't going to go for hardware transcoding, then likely team Red is the default as they have much higher core counts for the investment and you will ALWAYS have PCI-E lanes free to drop in a video card later.

Anyway, that's just my thought on a clear distinction between the two. 

Edited by Tybio
  • Like 1