Got HighPoint SATA controller to use with 2 old Promise cards... Not working?

CaptainSpalding

Is it a bad idea to use cards from two different manufacturers?

The two Promise cards had problems with that "...Option ROM..." I don't remember how it goes, but some hardware problem.

Well they have worked together for a while. My discs were full and I had to buy a third sata card. The HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 was the only PCI-e x1 card that was on the shelf at my retailer. It was also cheap enough for my budget.

When I first hooked it in, no problem, booted pretty fast and I got to do the preclearing on it also. Then I took the power off for the night and booted the next day. It did not boot, it did the drive scanning for the new card, but when it got to Promise drive scan, it just stuck there for like 10 minutes.

Then I powered down and removed the new card and now it boots ok, but that one disk missing the array is unprotected.

I checked the disks from the bios and seemed that the ones connected to mobos sata ports showed as seperate, but the ones on the two Promise cards seemed as RAID-0. I don't remember ever configured any RAIDs.

Could this cause the other card not to work? Some raid controller conflict or something?

Is there any advice on this?

Checked the BIOS a little closer and it shows the disks from the other Fasttrak controller card only.

And if I don't have any disks connected to the new HighPoing card the system boots fine.

Could it be in the motherboard bios or should the cards be flashed to a newer fw?

Anyone?'

EDIT: I'm thinking of changing the HighPoint to Promise TX4650. Should it then work?

80 views and no hints on this or anything?  :)

I now tried with all three sata cards installed and for some reason the Promise cards don't show up in the bios. When I remove the new PCI-e card those show up.

And when I boot with all the cards installed I can get the server to boot, but only if I manually skip the Promise cards disk scan (Hit space).

I'm not running the server 24/7, so is there anyway to automatically to skip the disk check?

Doesn't anyone have had the same problem?

Thanks for your patience!

Archived