Converting Win10 installation to VM problem

JQNE

I can succesfully boot up to my converted win10 as vm. Only option I get it to work is when Primary vDisk Bus: SATA , is enabled for vm. I would like obviously use VirtIO for better/usable vm performance. When I choose VirtIO --> boot up hangs at circulatin dots showing after Tiano logo. When looking windows Device Managers --> Disk Drives --> and my hard drive there has some quemu driver installed(for SATA setting in Primary vDisk Bus, I think).

My working win10 vm has Red Hat Virtio SCSI Disk Device and it works great.

Problem is I don't now how or where I can install Red Hat driver?

When installing new win wm I know how to install correct red hat driver to get windows recognize vdisk. But how that is made without going through win installation progress?

This is the same as moving the boot drive from one computer to another, but this is really not an UnRaid issue, but rather just a "Windows Is Stupid About Drivers" issue...

It can be done, but the the ideal solution is to use the correct drivers during Windows install... I assume that is not an option here though...

If changing an existing install, make sure to backup the existing VM image file and XML file...

An overview of what is needed:

1. Boot the Windows ISO with the VM image file in question attached...

2. Tell it how to talk to the VM's image files...

Either loading the SCSI driver (vioscsi/win10/amd64/) or the SATA/VirtIO driver (viostor/win10/amd64/) from the Qemu Drivers disk)

For some reason, this can only be done by getting most of the way through the normal install process, but when it gets to the screen asking which drive to install to, it will be blank... This screen is the only one that has a "Load Driver" option hidden in the bottom left corner...  While this was intended just to load storage drivers, you actually can install nearly any driver from here, as long as you load the storage driver last...  You will know it worked when you can now see the image file partitions, and windows offers to install to one of them...  Now this boot of the windows ISO knows how to talk to your VM's image file...

(p.s.  I prefer the SCSI driver, since it is the only one that can enable Windows TRIM/Linux discard command to make it all the way down to a host SSD drive)

3. Click the "Red X" for the install, and tell it yes you want to cancel the install...

4. Go through the normal "Repair" to do a "Startup Repair"...

Process for this is as follows:

Boot off of the latest Windows 10 install ISO, and chose these options:

1. Click through all the options like a normal install, the options you pick here don't matter since we are not actually doing a Windows install...

image.png.8df9fbb3bc489d1e51cd8546cb1606a0.png 

image.png.5d20e314c325c950f0c70cf505192659.png

...(Other setup windows will appear, click through till you get to the next one)...

image.png.9fc69d8e8c62f505830fcaabdc6777a1.png

...(Make sure to do a "Custom" install)...

image.png.e8bdd65c4d2cb26035142041e9cb2df7.png

...(We are finally where we can tell the Windows Install process about our storage drivers, click "Load Drivers")...

image.png.8e84135467b971775978f829bd02b71a.png

...(Load your driver)...

image.png.7419aa961213cef79ee4b1586f8a8f85.png

...(Click Next)...

image.png.f854fb5852547c654ed92df0a3efb202.png 

...(This is the kind of thing we are looking for, Windows now knows how to talk to our drive 👍)...

...(Now kill the setup with the "Red X" 😣)...

image.png.5d20e314c325c950f0c70cf505192659.png

...(Now that windows can even see our device, we can finally do a "Repair your computer")...

image.png.4b1b5ccc003616dd5bf4f0204a26745d.png

...(Chose "Troubleshoot")...

image.png.b713b7f906964c77a6cfa9273cc4799b.png

...(Then "Startup Repair")...

image.png.e9c10b44e60d7e419de0d90a1ec90193.png

...(This will rebuild the Windows BCD files, hopefully this works for you)...

Unfortunately I have had a bunch of issues with this kind of thing over the years, this only works for me about 70% of the time...  As I said above, the prefered method is to just set it correctly during Windows install...  Beyond that, you have to do your own research into all the other ways and reasons Windows might not like you...

Edited by Warrentheo
4 hours ago, JQNE said:

But how that is made without going through win installation progress?

Try going to device manager, highlight the computer name at the top of the list, select action, add legacy hardware, install the hardware that I manually select from the list.

When you initially install the driver, it may show up with an error, but when you reboot with the virtio it should work.

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Try going to device manager, highlight the computer name at the top of the list, select action, add legacy hardware, install the hardware that I manually select from the list.

When you initially install the driver, it may show up with an error, but when you reboot with the virtio it should work.

That does indeed install the driver in windows, but you also need those drivers outside of windows, before the boot procedure knows how to get to those drivers...  I have only gotten that to work with a startup repair...  It is the reason the VirtIO driver disk has a floppy image in the root of the iso (\virtio-win-0.1.160_amd64.vfd)...  Back in the days of Windows XP, it was the only way to affect the boot drivers, at least in Windows 10 it lets you do it without digging out and plugging in your floppy drive...

Edited by Warrentheo

I got to this point where windows informs that it's restoring files.

I first could not get it to windows install screen when I had only my converted img file as VirtIO setup. And also windows iso was attached.

Freeze happend same time as before. I tried to add my converted img as 2nd disk VirtIO. And just created normal empty 1st VirtIO disk. And then windows installation started.

I'm hoping it works. I have only 120Gb img file and windows has been doing restore files -part about 30min.

I will post the outcome later!