Reorder disks

nathanj

Hi everyone

My current array has 5x 3tb drives and 1x 2tb drives, i have recently purchased 2x 8tb drives and are currently preclearing them now. When they are done im going to replace the 3tb parity drive for one of the 8tb drives. Because OCD.. I am wanting to put the other 8tb drive in the disk 1 position in the array, how would i go about doing this? Could i simply move the existing disk 1 to disk 6 and then add the 8tb drive into disk 1 and then mark parity as valid? 

33 minutes ago, nathanj said:

I am wanting to put the other 8tb drive in the disk 1 position in the array, how would i go about doing this? Could i simply move the existing disk 1 to disk 6 and then add the 8tb drive into disk 1 and then mark parity as valid? 

Assuming the following:

• You have already built parity on the new 8TB parity disk (and it set as parity1)
  • You do not have parity2 

then this should work.   The calculation for parity1 ignores which slot a disk is in while that for parity2 does not (which is why the process only works if you do not have parity2 present).